Installing a new engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maesterio

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello, I am looking to install a Hong Nor Force 32 in my hyper 7 TQ2 2012.

I just wanted to clear some doubts before I went ahead, I know with a new engine you have the install clutch shoes bell gear etc.

What I wanted to know is do you need specific parts for the hong nor engine or are parts like clutch shoes universal.

Will the clutch shoes and bell gear from my preview hobao .21 3 port engine fit the new hong nor or are there parts I should be changing.

I am not looking to install today, obviously I need to do more research before fitting, any help from you guys will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :D

Shoes and flywheels are pretty interchangeable between makes, as the SG crank shaft found on almost all big blocks and some small blocks is standardized. I have an Associated flywheel with OFNA shoes and an HPI clutch bell in a Tamiya, A Tamiya flywheel & shoes with an OFNA bell in a Kyosho, etc.

Sixtysixduece is correct in that what you are asking for will work.

I will elaborate on a few things so everyone is clear, however. Clutch setups are not akin to engines...but instead the vehicle. I have cross-bred clutch setups but it's not always a straight 1-1 (meaning not all flywheels support all clutch springs, not all shoes are compatible with all clutch bells, etc. Yes, for the most part they are interchangeable, but there can be subtle and sometimes substantial differences

As an example: If Sixtysixduece were to put Mugen shoes/springs on his Kyosho flywheel...the springs would not last very long (this is specifically due to the pin distance on a Kyosho flywheel vs Mugen).

The thing you need to keep in mind is your flywheel size (yours is 38mm ), the distance the pins on the flywheel (most are 2.5mm) and the inner diameter of your clutch bell. Assuming you have a Hobao clutch bell you will have later engagement than say using a Mugen bell as the inner diameter is larger. You can offset this by shoe weight/spring tension, etc. Additionally, if you were to go down to say, a 34mm flywheel....you'd have to remove the spacer on the chassis to get it started on a box. No big deal...just things you want to be aware of. Also, springs are not interchangeable with shoes.

To add to the mix, you need to take into account the collet. There is no easy answer for this (do you use the collet with the kit or the clutch setup). I've had some where the kit worked best, and some where the clutch setup worked best. You just have to test them out.

Probably more than you wanted to know...but in the event you start investing in different clutch setups...be sure to know what the effects will be.