HPI SAVAGE X PROBLEMS

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl1989

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm new here this is my first post so first off thanks in advance.
I have just purchased a savage x second hand 24 hours ago. To say the least it has some issues which I'm proud iv managed to sort myself, clutch was fitted wrong way round so was stalling under any load, grub pin on back driveshaft had come out and only had 2 wheel drive and was staying in 1st gear so adjusted the he gearbox so changes to second sweet, so that was today's jobs.

Problem I'm having now is the truck runs well top end but is lacking acceleration. If I push full throttle from idle the truck stalls but if I gradually accelerate it's fine. Any ideas please? Thanks

sounds like you need to adjust your low speed needle, most likely it is set too rich, so you will need to lean it out a bit.

Perfect ill try that tomorrow when I take it out.

Thanks for your help NC

I totally agree with NCNitro. The LSN controls the idle and takeoff, the HSN controls high speed.
Usually the LSN and the idle screw need to be tuned together since leaning the LSN will raise the RPM.

Hi all. Yes as predicted you were correct. Thankyou. I have learned alot since this post thanks to you all on here.

I'm now just sorting a few teething problems with an lrp.32 I'm running in the savage now.

Hi all. Yes as predicted you were correct. Thankyou. I have learned alot since this post thanks to you all on here.

I'm now just sorting a few teething problems with an lrp.32 I'm running in the savage now.

Sorry to get off topic, but how do you like that lrp .32 in the savage? I bought a savage 25 a little while back and haven't gotten it running yet. This is due to having to order parts and not having enough time to dig into it, but I digress. I'm thinking about future state upgrading to a bigger motor and thought I'd hear your thoughts on your .32 @Daryl1989

Hi mate. I finished running it in today. I personally love it but I just lover power. If your someone who is full throttle everywhere don't bother as your truck will end up at the top of the nearest tree. It's an animal but if you are extremely careful with the throttle I would definatly recommend it from what I have seen from the 20 mins I had it running today.

I might get my 25 up and running and think it's plenty fast enough, but I have a feeling that won't be the case. Usually my motto is too fast is just fast enough. I'll keep that in the back of my head though about the .32.

Personally, I'm up in the air on the .28, .30 and .32. @olds97_lss loves the 28 S3, and says it's plenty. It'll probably boil down to which one I can save $5 on when I get ready to pull the trigger.

Personally, I'm up in the air on the .28, .30 and .32. @olds97_lss loves the 28 S3, and says it's plenty. It'll probably boil down to which one I can save $5 on when I get ready to pull the trigger.

I have a feeling I'll at least make the jump to a .28 when the time is right, but I'll keep asking around getting more input as to what people think about theirs. I haven't done much research at all, but seems the 28 is super easy to find, the 32 is somewhat easy, but the .30 isn't as easy to find. Keep in mind none of that research was on LRPs website.

For an XL, you might want more torque that the 32 can offer, or if you want to run big ass tires. For me, when my 28 was running right, it was plenty of power for the normal X running 17/49 gearing and traxxas 3.8 chevrons or the t-maxx 3.3 tires or stock X tires.

With that gearing, smaller sidewall tires was better because at WOT, it was like driving a snake with stock tires or the t-maxx 3.3 tires. The 3.8" chevrons hold their shape a bit better. I can easily hit top RPM's in grass and on pavement with the 28 at that gearing. Still spends a lot of time with the front end in the air. I'm currently fighting with my 28 though... I have the same engine in a BB revo and a buggy and had one in an aftershock (LST2) with +2 on the CB with the same tires I currently have on the savage.

I've had 4 or 5 of the LRP28's and they were all good except my current one in my savage. Still trying to sort out the issue, but I did order a LRP30 that is being delivered today in case I just can't sort out the 28 issues. Figured the larger engine for a little less $ on ebay, why not give it a try. The 32 was quite a bit more $, so I just went with the 30 for $151 ($170 shipped).

I think it all depends what you are going to use it for I think for bashing etc the .28 will be plenty and cheaper, I only got the .32 because my mate bought it and never used it so I got it cheap. Please let me know if you get any of the others it will be interesting to compare.

You know your stuff olds lol

Yeah, I only intend on bashing. I have no intentions of racing it at a track. Right now I don't have the time to even bash let alone race. I don't blame you for scooping up that 32 for cheap. I'd have done the same thing just to see what it would do. I also have a CEN Matrix Arena TR with a .28 on it, so that will give me a good guide as to what the .28 can do vs. the .25. I know it's not apples to apples, but I think you get where I'm going with that. And as far as I know, both mine are stock. I bought both used though, so it's hard telling without ripping it apart.

I only got the .32 because my mate bought it and never used it so I got it cheap.

I have a new in box picco 28 that I bought for similar reasons. I think I paid $150 for it shipped on this forum 5+ years ago when the engine was selling for over $200. I just had good engines in everything at the time (LRP28's) and didn't have anythign to put it in, but didn't want to pass up on the deal. After getting it, I ran across quite a few posts about it being a pain to tune and the carb having a tendency to leak since it's a composite/aluminum hybrid carb, so instead of futzing with it, I just bought another LRP28 when I needed another engine...

Then I didn't run much for a couple years, bash buddies all had kids or just dropped out entirely. Late last year, I started getting back into it a bit more on my own. But with spare time at a premium, I don't want to spend the few hours I do have fighting with an engine... hence the recent knee jerk purchase of the LRP30 to replace the 28 I'm having issues with.

Going to try this one tomorrow see if it's any good.

Attachments

• 20160428_180941.jpg
    20160428_180941.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 196
I have run the .LRP. 28 and the .32 in a savage X. I am a basher on grass and the .28 is more fun to drive. Once you gear out the .32 so it doesn't just flip over on throttle it becomes so fast it eats your bashing space. You can't touch the brakes or it will just cartwheel 50 feet. If you ran for speed on flat ground I could see it being awesome. The .32 went into an 8ight -T

Yep its already flipped a few times. Taking a bit of getting used too lol

I have run the .LRP. 28 and the .32 in a savage X. I am a basher on grass and the .28 is more fun to drive. Once you gear out the .32 so it doesn't just flip over on throttle it becomes so fast it eats your bashing space. You can't touch the brakes or it will just cartwheel 50 feet. If you ran for speed on flat ground I could see it being awesome. The .32 went into an 8ight -T
Thanks for the input. I was worried about that @WVNed

Back