how long does nitro fuel last

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoney

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm thinking of buying a tmaxx from a guy and he said the fuel is a couple of years old. How long dows it last.
Thanks

I would say just buy some new fuel. A year seems a little much, considering it's been just sitting there too. I love new fuel, too. It seems to run better, for me at least. :D

didnt know if the hydro carbins would hold up or not, but thanks

Yea I wouldn't chance it - get a new bottle and then you don't have to worry! :)

Old fuel will give you nothing but trouble. (And i should know!)

You get hard starting and high temps.

New fuel is just BETTER!

It all depends how it was stored. I've run some 1 year old fuel, and my engine ran just fine on it. Actually it had turned brown, it was supposed to be yellow, but since I had more than 10 gallons on my STS I figured it couldn't hurt. :)

But old fuel is still not recommended.

like above me it just depends on how you store it if you do it right it will last prolly a year to 2 years but if its unopend and you tor it proper it will last for quite a while but no air can get to it

I can vouch for fuel lasting 2 years stored properly. Up until a month ago I was using 2yr old fuel but it's been used up!

I can't see old fuel damaging anything, just not runing well if it's bad. I tried 15 yr old stuff once. Wouldn't run but didn't harm anything either.

thanks for all the replys ( spend alittle hear to save alittle later ) thanks again

It all depends how it was stored. I've run some 1 year old fuel, and my engine ran just fine on it. Actually it had turned brown, it was supposed to be yellow, but since I had more than 10 gallons on my STS I figured it couldn't hurt. :)

But old fuel is still not recommended.

What if i have a half a gallon of traxxas 20 percent fuel stored in a dark closet about 68 degrees would it be bad for a brand new nitro car

Last edited:
I can vouch for fuel lasting 2 years stored properly. Up until a month ago I was using 2yr old fuel but it's been used up!

I can't see old fuel damaging anything, just not runing well if it's bad. I tried 15 yr old stuff once. Wouldn't run but didn't harm anything either.

Where did you find 15 yr old nitro??

having kept the top on and not had big tempurature swings i would say that you would be alright. This has more to do with your tuning expertise. If you have trouble tuning, ditch the old stuff and get fresh.

The guys saying they run the old fuels have probably done this a while and can adjust for any issue accordingly.

I am burning through a 1.5 year old gallon of o'donnell right now that has been in my enclosed trailer and its holding up just fine....

What if i have a half a gallon of traxxas 20 percent fuel stored in a dark closet about 68 degrees would it be bad for a brand new nitro car

That shouldn't be a problem. It should be stored not to cold and not to warm, and out of the sun, so I can't see it hurting anything.

get some new fuel left mine a couple of months and just started getting problems so i wud not risk it

Where did you find 15 yr old nitro??

A friend dug out a bunch of old airplane stuff and gave it to me. He said it was at least that old. Also had some 10% COX fuel from the early 80's and tried running it in the late 90's.

get some new fuel left mine a couple of months and just started getting problems so i wud not risk it

Either it wasn't actually a fuel problem or you were very careless with where/how you stored it.

So, I could buy a gallon of fuel, maybe 2 or 3. And bring it back home with me and as long as I stored it right it wouldn't hurt? Where I live for work in the summer has no roads leading into it, so everything has to be flown in, I can't find anyone that will air ship nitro in my area.

You should be just fine doing that. Store it in a dry, cool place that's out of the sun light.