How long does a plug last you?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulC

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Glow plugs aren't exactly cheap and I don't think I have had a buggy running long enough, well tuned, to find out how long they actually last.

Break in the last buggy I think I blew two in the first 5 tanks. Then I blew another 2 when the buggy was running too hot. In it's final throughs this winter it blew another 2 in as many fuel tanks (running too hot).

My Picco has also popped 2 plugs during break in.

Am assuming this is normal, but when the buggy is well broken in and tuned to not overheat that plugs should last, what?, 4 or 5 tanks?

Not sure about you guys, but for OS No.8's I'm paying like £5-6 each!

Paul

Glow plugs aren't exactly cheap and I don't think I have had a buggy running long enough, well tuned, to find out how long they actually last.

Break in the last buggy I think I blew two in the first 5 tanks. Then I blew another 2 when the buggy was running too hot. In it's final throughs this winter it blew another 2 in as many fuel tanks (running too hot).

My Picco has also popped 2 plugs during break in.

Am assuming this is normal, but when the buggy is well broken in and tuned to not overheat that plugs should last, what?, 4 or 5 tanks?

Not sure about you guys, but for OS No.8's I'm paying like £5-6 each!

Paul

plugs can last a long time if the engine is tuned correctly. The plug i am using in my savage has been going since last season. I fired it up yesterday for the first time in about 3 months and it worked fine. With the break in process it is advised to replace the plug when you've finished.
At the moment with this cold weather our engines are running considerably hotter than normal so we tend to richen them up slightly. If this is not done a plug won't last long at all. You must have something seriously wrong tune wise to be blowing that many plugs. Are you using the correct plug for your engine and fuel? Make sure you get the right grade plug for your fuel.

Last edited:
Yeah it all boils down to your tune. A good tuned engine will keep a plug lit for awhile. I have gone 5-6 races on a single plug in the past...other times...I have blown 2 in a 6 min heat race.

For bashing I get about a half to a full gallon or more out of a plug before it craps out on me as long as I have a good tune with no major over-temps.

How do you match a plug to fuel?

I'm running an OS No8 with 25% Model Technics 'Big Bang' in the Picco.

OS Glow Plug Information
# 8 Hot Recommended for most current O.S. (and other) 2-stroke engines
Type F Mildly Hot Special long-reach plug recommended exclusively for O.S (and other) 4-stroke engines
Type RE Hot Special long-reach plug designed exclusively for O.S. Wankel rotary engine
A5 Cold Recommended for most current O.S. (and many other) 2-stroke engines particularly for 1/10th & 1/8th scale off-road car engines
A3 Hot Dependable O.S. quality makes A3 the most durable and longest-lasting glow plug available at an economical price
R5 Very Cold Recommended for high-nitro fuel and high r.p.m. engines, particularly 1/8th track racing car engines

Looking at this info above the No8 is a hot plug which is used for low nitro content fuel. The plug has to be hotter due to the fuel not having as much nitro in it. The higher the nitro content the colder the plug. General rule of thumb. But this also depends on the weather conditions your driving in, the style of your driving (basher or racer).

Hope this helps.

Hotter plugs also tend to be easier to tune with. They make the width of the tuning window a bit larger.... I run 30% Nitro content and run OS P3 plugs which are Ultra Hot.

Back