1. Ask questions. Share your knowledge. Register TODAY!

How long Does a Engine last? On average

Discussion in 'Nitro RC Talk' started by Mach.21, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Mach.21

Mach.21 RCNT Qualifier

Just read the title

2. PiErow

PiErow Hardcore RCNT User

Mach it depends on how hard you run it, how often you run it, fuel, and maintnence. The list goes on.

3. vbgagnon

vbgagnon RCNT VIP

like bandit said if you run it a tad rich, and make sure no dirt gets into the engine either by fuel or air then you will have an engine that will run good for a long long time. You also have to take your time when you break your engine in do it exactly the way the manufacturer says to do it.

4. Mach.21

Mach.21 RCNT Qualifier

Ok nvm i should have know i was gonna get a conditional anwser

5. Malakai3

Malakai3 RCNT Racer

How about asking "how long will a well taken care of, tuned engine, not run in extremes last?"

Will that question give us a time frame?

6. vbgagnon

vbgagnon RCNT VIP

i'd say 4-5 gallons, maybe more

7. PiErow

PiErow Hardcore RCNT User

I would have to agree with vb

8. Mach.21

Mach.21 RCNT Qualifier

Ok I Clean my air filter every day when packing up....I run tempetures in the 240 range...I check my plug frequetly and i make sure it is tuned..........

Is that better??? Ok I already have run a gallon and a half through it and it still purs like a kitty.... I was just wondering about when i should expect to pinch or replace the piston and sleve or just spend some money and get BIG engine.

9. olds97_lss

olds97_lss RCNT VIP Supporter

It also depends on the engine make. From what I've read, some of the top $ engines (novarossi, RB, Sirio...) last on average 8-10 gallons if well taken care of.

A lot of the cheaper engines (Mach, xtm, OS...), they seem to last around 3-5 depending on care.

This is what I've read. I've gotten 7 gallons through an OS 15 cv-r (more if I hadn't of traded it, it was still running well), 2 gallons through an OS 21 RG, a gallon before I gave up on my trx 2.5.

As for my current engines, I have about 2 gallons through my orion wasp 18 and coming up on 3 gallons in my omega 21 comp. The omega is still shiny pistoned and has enough pinch to get stuck TDC. The wasp doesn't have much compression left, but still runs ok.

10. Mach.21

Mach.21 RCNT Qualifier

Damnit I have a mach Which relly sucks..... Since you have had a XXX-nt What should i do when my engine gives up........Get a new one???? If so what kind of engine...

11. olds97_lss

If you have the mach 15, I wouldn't suggest dropping the $ to rebuild it. I did that on my xxxnt when I had it, the engine never ran right afterwords... I put in a new P/S and conrod and it ran like crap.

The OS 15 cv-r(x) is what I replaced it with. I then proceeded to run 7 gallons through it. I traded the truck with the engine at the beginning of this season, so I didn't have a chance to run anymore fuel through it. I ran the crap out of that engine.

Once, I ran it for almost 8 hours straight without shutting it down. I did, however, shut it down 3 or 4 times to go take a piss and eat lunch, but otherwise, it was running. That was a good day. I had about 4 gallons on the engine before that week, I ran a whole gallon through it that week. I love vacation!!!

Anyway, it was a good solid, easy to tune engine. But I never got wheelies out of it like I've seen others have with thier ST's. I don't know if it was the oil/spring setup I had or if the engine just wasn't strong enough. It was definatly strong enough to lose control of the truck. IMO, it was more powerful than the mach 15 that came in it.

Out of the 7 gallons, I ran 5 of trinity MHP 20% and 2 of wildcat eliminator 20% Nitro, 16%oil (or 14%, can't remember).

12. Mach.21

Mach.21 RCNT Qualifier

when i get a new motor id like to get a .12 so i can race with it.....Ne sugestions of a .12

13. olds97_lss

Not I says I. I'm a basher only. I put in what I can afford and what kind of fits. Those are my only 2 stipulations.

14. Mach.21

Mach.21 RCNT Qualifier

so in other words you dont really have ne sugustions

15. Rolex

Rolex I'm only here for the snacks Staff Member Veteran

16. olds97_lss

No I don't... sorry. Getting a little punchy, it's friday and I want to go home!!! WORKING SUX!!!

17. Mach.21

Mach.21 RCNT Qualifier

Where do you work that sucks so bad.....?????

18. TT120

TT120 RCNT Qualifier

I got 5 gallons on my 2.5 before I had to replace the P/S and am working on the 6th gallon thru my Sirio 18 and it's still running perfect.

19. Maskale

Maskale RCNT Qualifier

I am going on my 7th gallon on a Siro Kanai Edition. I have a sharpie in my tool box that I use to write the number on the new gallons as I get them to make it easier to keep track.

20. Mark@Derby

Mark@Derby RC Newbie

I have the picco p3 and mine is still going stong after 18 Uk gallens still pulls wheelys on a 18/49 ratio with me savage

Mark

21. marc0490

marc0490 RCNT Champion

In my Wasp .26 I broke it in correctly but I do nothing no after run oil hell I never clean the air filter and I'm at the end of my 4th gallon.

22. Mark@Derby

Mark@Derby RC Newbie

i would use after run oil or some other type and i clean my airfilter all the time befor and after a good bash/race .. all so i use some byron oil boost too this keeps the engine really cool and all that ..

Mark

my brake in on the engine was 6 tanks of tickover with that oil and then 3 more light revv'ing and then tuned it .. :)

23. Diver6127

Diver6127 RCNT VIP

I have an OS .12CV-RX that has 5 gallons (approx) thorugh it. It's loosing compression and can only really be started on a starter box since there aren't enough rev in a single yank of the pull start and I can't yank it as fast as a starterbox can turn it. I also have an OS .15 CV-R that has almost 5 gallons through it and it still has great compression.

It all depends on how you run it (Rich or Lean) over heating and fuel percentage also have a play in it