Home made header? Anyone done this?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RColdschoolrc

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So, I'm loving my newly acquired HPI Savage 25 w/Dynamite Mach 28, but the exhaust dumping behind the front tire is really bothering me.
As you all know it's messy...
And it covers a larger amount of the rig than one would imagine....

I was thinking that it would be nice to put the pipe behind the rear bulkhead(diff housing), between the bulkhead and the rear bumper, to keep the exhaust in the way back where(I think) it should have been in the first place.

I'd like to route the exhaust either around the RR shocks and back, or straight through the bulkhead itself and turn down to meet the pipe.
In either case, it would be with the minimum of bends and least restriction in mind.

My series of questions are:
Has anyone made their own header?
I was wondering what the exhaust temps are at the exhaust port?
If they can use aluminum for headers would I have a melting problem if I used coiled copper pipe with plumber's solder(fairly high temp) to make a header?
Would copper or the plumber's solder have a reaction with the methanol, like they do with the coil of a glow plug?
I'm guessing I'd have somewhere near 5" to 6" of pipe at the most, would this create too much back pressure?
Or would changing the overall length of the exhaust effect the pipe's tune?

Thanks in advance!!!

Thanks Alexander!
I have seen those pipes before.
They look absolutely gorgeous, and I'm sure they sound awesome as well!!
I'd really LOVE to have one........ BUT.....
As hard as I drive, that pipe wouldn't last the first tank full....

I really like to fabricate parts if I can with my primitive means.
I'd really like to try my hand at it, as long as I can be sure I'm not compromising the longevity of my engine in the process!

Although, that would be a great reason to "have to" buy a Mach 427!:p:

Wait....maybe I ought to re-think this....:hehe:;)

Last edited:
Back