Help repairing window AC unit

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have an LG window AC unit that is close to 10 years old. It throws the breaker (the one built into the 110V wall plug) after running for 4 or 5 minutes. It does not do this if your running the fan only. I'm fairly sure that this is because the capacitor in it has gone bad. I believe this is a common problem in ac units when they get older. I believe I can get the cap out and hopefully find a replacement for it at the local electronics parts store but I need to know if there is a safe way to make sure the cap is discharged before I go and start screwing with it. I've been zapped by small mother board caps in the past and it aint no fun and this thing look big enough to kill a rhino... Anyone have any advice or thoughts on this?

Cut off the breaker plug and just install another heavy duty plug without a breaker. The plug breakers are known to go bad after a while. If the breaker for the wall outlet pops then you'll know the problem is in the AC and not the plug. I'm betting you won't have a problem.

Get one like this. They're made to replace AC plugs.

large.jpg

Well I've already torn the AC unit apart and that little round piece that acts like a pressure release value is all pushed out like a soda can ready to explode so I'm pretty sure it is the cap. That is to say I know when MoBo caps go bad the tops of them do the same thing so Ima ssuming this is the same way.

Check the cord for any melting, most of the summer I had the camper trailer plugged in to the house, then one fine evening everything quit, I checked fuses turned breaker on, just to have it quit again and again. Finally I changed the cord out and everything was right as rain.

I dont see anything wrong with the cord Alex, I'm gonna price the cap since I'm reasonably sure that it is the problem. I've been reading more on it this morning and the cap seems to be the most common thing to go out on them. I'm pretty sure the caps are cheap. If that doesn't work then I'll try replacing the end as you suggested rolex. Thanks for the feedback guys

Check the cord for any melting, most of the summer I had the camper trailer plugged in to the house,
Electric items that draw a heavy load will ALWAYS overheat an extension cord unless it's 1/2" thick and extreme heavy duty. There is so much amperage lost in an extension cord that you can't even start a compressor unless it's empty. It can't start under load.
Anyway, that wouldn't be the case since it wasn't running anywhere except to the wall socket.
Hold a screwdriver by its insulated handle. DO NOT touch any other metal, either in or around the unit.
Place the screwdriver's metal end across the two terminals that protrude from the capacitor. Connecting the two terminals with the metal screwdriver essentially shorts the capacitor's circuit and releases the internal electrical energy.

Took the cap out today and ran down to a local electronic parts start and had em test it. Its still good and the plug didnt help either...must be the compressor or some other part I probably can't fix. Oh well, worth a shot

Well, we tried. Apparently the compressor is just old and drawing too much of a load.
If the breaker popped when the compressor was starting, that would point to the capacitor. If it popped any time during running, it's just an old, worn compressor.

I thought it was the cap to but M&R tested it and said it tested good.