help picking first nitro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke7998

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello all, I'm looking for some advice on which nitro truck to buy. I've never had a nitro rc before, mostly because I don't have a local hobby shop for support. But I think I'm going to give it a try. I think I want a monster truck. Leaning toward the savage x 4.6 or t maxx 3.3. Also like the looks of the kyosho mad force with its solid axles. Which do you guys think would be the best for a noob? Which is the easiest to work on and tune. Which is the most durable? New or used? All help is appreciated, thanks.

I'd recommend the Savage out of the three you list. Tough as nails out of the box and it has lots of hop-ups available.

I'm not saying they are the best but Traxxas has good customer service which will come in handy for a first nitro. Without a local hobby shop your going to be on your own with the Savage and the Kyosho is a cool truck with the solid axels but not as durable as the other two.

For a beginner, I've gotta go with T Maxx also. Good customer support, easy to work on, and numerous aftermarket hop ups to choose from. Go new, not used. :thumbs-up:

95% of the new to nitro guys that buy used get screwed and never touch the hobby again!..it's too bad and I wish that those guys woulda stopped by here for a day at least just to get some honest guidence,...like the fish said buy new!..follow the break in and maintenance to the t and you'll be all set bud!
With that said,..you may be much better off starting out with a traxxas rig

I've had good experience with Traxxas rigs as well. I would recommend a Revo over the T-Maxx, however, based on my experience. The Revo is a bit tougher and handles better IMO. Oh, and I will reinforce: NEVER BUY A USED RIG AS A FIRST NITRO RIG!

I appreciate the revo as a better truck, but it's a bit more than I want to spend. I'm really interested in which is the toughest for around $500. If I like nitro I'll probably pass the first one I get down to my son and build myself a 1/8 truggy. And if I don't I'll cut my losses and eBay it off.

And what tools will I need? I know a thermometer is a must and most rtr kits I'm looking at come with the glow igniter and starter. Is there any other essential tools and/or equipment?

A Fuel bottle, good hex wrenches. A good quality charger is another good thing to have. It sucks to have to charge the RX battery for 8-hours.

If you go with the T-Maxx, the EZ-Start has the glow igniter built in and should work for a good while.

The Fuel bottle, it allows you to add as well as remove fuel for the truck easily. And several extra glow plugs. Also a tuning screwdriver. It's thin- and long-enough to allow you to adjust the needles.

With the discounts that are given at good online hobby stores don't mess with eBay either, buy from a reputable place so you will have a warranty! I have bought new on eBay and a lot of companies don't want to warranty those products.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0097p?MANUFACTURER=&CATEGORY=CB&FVSEARCH=TMAXX+3.3

With this code 014WF it's $409.99 and free shipping, comes with almost everything you need, and leaves you extra for extra glow plugs and fuel.

You can find all of the discount codes on the home page, click on July Savings.....the more you spend the bigger the discount.

I've read quite a few forum threads and from what I've gathered the savage x seems to be the most durable and the t maxx the easiest to work on. Is this a fairly accurate generalization? I've worked on many rc cars before and am fairly mechanically inclined. I think durability is a higher priority. As long as the motor isn't any more difficult to tune, that's the only part I don't already know how to do.

That about sums it up. Follow the break-in instructions and the tuning flow chart here and you'll be in good shape.

I would go with the T-Maxx. As you break a part you can upgrade. Go to RPM website and see the upgrade parts available. Any truck is going to break. Eventually. No matter what you get, at least you know where to go for your support ...RCNitroTalk. This is the best website I know for this hobby. Better than the local hobby shop I think.

Well thanks to all who replied, it's appreciated. I won't be making a purchase for another week or two, need time to think about it. So if anyone else has a suggestion I'll be sure to keep checking back. And if there's another truck out there for around $500 rtr you think is worth a look I would be interested.

Well thanks to all who replied, it's appreciated. I won't be making a purchase for another week or two, need time to think about it. So if anyone else has a suggestion I'll be sure to keep checking back. And if there's another truck out there for around $500 rtr you think is worth a look I would be interested.
I'd definitely get a NEW savage, if your in the U.K you tend to get better customer service. My LHS has a hpi day every year where you get free stickers and stuff- they'll also check over your car if you want- but I always like to do it myself. You can also contact HPI through e-mail and you'll get a reply next day. But in the end it's YOUR money and YOUR choice- we're just here for advice :)

I've had good experience with Traxxas rigs as well. I would recommend a Revo over the T-Maxx, however, based on my experience. The Revo is a bit tougher and handles better IMO. Oh, and I will reinforce: NEVER BUY A USED RIG AS A FIRST NITRO RIG!
Although I agree with you 100%, I bought my first car used and got a bargain- it was in new condition and has never failed in the 2 3/4 years I've had it- as long as you look after it and got lucky in the first place then your OK- but to anybody else I wouldn't risk it, I got it £120 cheaper than new, in new condition with fuel and many spares. Just thought I'd mention that it's not always bad, but not ever worth the risk. But I'd NEVER buy from craigslist. A new engine on craigslist is a blown engine in real life :p

I've had good luck buying used on eBay, I even recommend it as long as you know what you're looking at. But I think my first nitro should be new. I have enough to learn without trying to diagnose someone else's mistakes.

With his budget there's no reason to even consider used!

Where do you plan on running it? Grass, dirt, pavement?

If your going to be running in a lot of grass/lawn, I'd suggest the savage for sure. The larger/higher torque engine can deal with grass better without running hot on you. Not to say the 3.3 is weak, but for a basher that spends 90% of my time in grass, my BB revo and savage do a lot better all day long and run less labored. When I go to the skatepark, the small block revo is fun and runs on less fuel.

Back