Help, noob engine problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozzie

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Built my first Nitro car (acme condor) as a kit, broke it in properly but the next day the engine is very difficult to turn over with the pull start, if I remove the glow plug the engine turns over fine, but it locks again when I reinsert the glow plug... any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ozzie

Built my first Nitro car (acme condor) as a kit, broke it in properly but the next day the engine is very difficult to turn over with the pull start, if I remove the glow plug the engine turns over fine, but it locks again when I reinsert the glow plug... any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ozzie

Sounds like a lot of compression and that's good.

It sounds like you're over priming the engine :) Try taking out the plug, turning it over a few times, with a cloth or something over the top to stop fuel going in your eye, then place the plug back in and try to start the engine. If it doesn't start, try re priming- fuel should just start to enter the carb. Please, don't force the engine to turn over when locked- you can end up snapping the pull chord, or even worse, snapping or bending a con rod. The kit being an acme doesn't help this- lets just say acme aren't renowned for being the best quality- they tend to have parts made of cheese- but as long as you have fun then that's all that counts.

Sounds like a lot of compression and that's good.
You want pinch towards the top of the cylinder which causes the compression, but what is occurring here is Hydro Lock. Liquids aren't compressible like gasses- they basically turn solid when compressed- so if he did force it to turn over, he could easily snap the pull chord, or just as easily if turning the engine over directly snap or bend the con rod, crankshaft, gudgeon pin, or anything else trying to be compressed when it's not supposed to be.

Thanks for all the help guys, we're up and running again :)

Back