Got a question for you computer guys?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex2342

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm running Windows XP(Home Edition) and everytime I restart my PC I get the DOS promt come up saying something about system32?It just stated doing this the other day and doesn't seem to be affecting my PC but it's kinda annoying since I don't know why it does it and it wasn't their beforeand but I'm not that good with computers so I can't figure it out.Anyone got any clues?

Could you let us know exactly what it says about system32?
In sure we will be able to help you out but we will need more info.

What it does it everytime I restart my PC and windows reloads the DOS prompt comes up.The header reads C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe and their is just a black box under it with an icon blinking likes it's waiting for me to type something in but when I try to type something it doesn't let me.It goes away after windows loads but flashs again real fast after it loads?Like I said it doesn't seem to be affecting my PC but it's annoying because it wasn't their before and I haven't changed anything or downloaded anything.

rex, it sounds to me like you've somehow gotten the "command prompt" (start->programs->accessories->command prompt) to start automatically.

check this location:

start -> programs -> startup

do you see any commnd prompt shortcut? if so right click it in the start menu and choose delete fromt he resulting menu.

the other place it could be is in your registry:

start -> run -> type: msconfig -> ok

i think xp has the msconfig utility. it's an easy way manage the things that run automatically. check under the startup tab for cmd.exe. if you find it, remove the check mark.

if you don't have msconfig (not %100 sure if xp has it), you can open the registry and look manually:

start -> run -> type: regedit -> ok

browse to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Current Version -> Run

check for your cmd.exe in there. if you find it, highlight the key and press delete on the keyboard.

also check this place:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Current Version -> Run

the last place a program can hide and comeup at start up is the win.ini file:

start -> run -> type: sysedit -> OK

check out the win.ini window and look for "load=" or "run=" if you see cmd.exe in there, remove the text that points to cmd:

example:

before:

run=C: \WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe;

after:

run=;

i also don't know if XP has sysedit. if not you should be able to load the win.ini file in notepad. fire up notepad and open the file C:\Windows\win.ini

also from your description, it's hard to say if you still have explorer running (have a startmenu) if you don't, it's possible you've set cmd.exe as your shell instead of explorer.exe

in sysedit, check out the file system.ini if you see a line that read:

shell=C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe

then that's the problem. it should read:

shell=C:\Windows\Explorer.exe

in most cases, however, you shouldn't have a "shell=" entry in system.ini as that's old crappy left-over Windows 3.1 junk.

good luck,
Rob

Thanks for the help RobH.Msconfig,regedit,and sysedit all come as "is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file".The only things in my start up menu are Adobe gamma loader.exe,America online 8.0 tray icon,Gstartup, and Zonealarm.I don't know what the Gstartup is?I click on it and it starts searching for GMT.exe and it comes up with nothing.You think that may be it?I don't have a "run" in my start menu.The it's under accessories as "command prompt.

Hey Rex that "GStartup" is call a Gator program its basically a internet spyware and was probably installed when downloading some software "Kazaa,Imesh" this may be causing your problem you can try running ADAWARE to clean these programs if that doesn't work you might have to remove the program in which it is linked to ..... if you do a search for Gator it will come up then try and uninstall if not it will tell you what program it is linked to.
Its wort a shot...... :mex:

Originally posted by Rex2342
Msconfig,regedit,and sysedit all come as "is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file".

it sounds like you're typing these commands into the command prompt. that's ok, but you may need to do it like this:

start sysedit

start regedit

start msconfig

start is a program that works like "Run" from the start menu.

Originally posted by Rex2342
The only things in my start up menu are Adobe gamma loader.exe,America online 8.0 tray icon,Gstartup, and Zonealarm.

XP has a list of used programs that you see in the start menu. All of the programs you mentioned would be set to run on startup and hence those would be the most used programs. The programs menu that I'm talking about is a little green arrow (i think) on the bottom of the start menu that says "programs". click on that and look for "startup" if you see a little "double arrow" at the end of the menu of programs, click on that to see all of the programs. there is this weird thing known as "personalized menus" which anoying as hell.

As far as the other programs that are on your computer, it sounds like you're loaded to the brim with spyware.

i don't under stand why you don't have a run option under the startmenu. it should look something like this:

XPStartMenu.JPG

where run is right under search.

(you can also see the "All Programs" i was talkign about)

Ok I got it now.I had my start menu on the classic start menu witch doesn't list the options your talking about but I changed it and now it looks like what you've posted above.I already have a Spyware finder Adware 6.0 to be exact.I search regularly for spyware and virus's so I don't think that is my problem.I'll try what you suggested earlier now that I know what you are talking about and can find it all.

Back