Frostbite's Savage X SS 4.6 Extended

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostbite91

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! Welcome to my build page. I don't have a bunch of pictures, but I'm sure more will come when I get a chance to play with this in the daytime. I work nights, so I usually sleep the daylight away :/

Modifications so far-
Heavy Duty Drive Cups
3-Stage Progressive Rate Springs
Front/Rear Sway Bars
Heavy Duty Steering Pitman Arm
Heavy Duty Chassis Mounts
13-Fin Engine Heat Sink
Mud-Terrain Tires
FastLane Machine LCG Extended TVP

That's all the modifications for now. Soon I hope to get new shocks with external reservoirs, Metal front/rear bumpers, LED Head/Brake lighting, Street tires, and probably more.

With the TVP and suspension work I can't even get this thing to flip over. WOT and full lock it just slides the tires lol! I did lose some steering radius but I will fix that with a 20% rear steer mod in the future.

Here's some pics. The last 3 are weird because my phone was dying and the flash was hogging up the power lol.
20141211_194531_zps71fkkdxh.jpg

20141211_194545_zpsnhluylaj.jpg

20141211_194554_zpscagjh1oq.jpg

20141211_194609_zpsyttsz0dt.jpg

20141211_194621_zpsxhprbgpp.jpg

20141211_194758_zpsfy41ohhm.jpg

20141211_194957_zps7aawyj0q.jpg

20141211_195002_zpszqyl2gpl.jpg

20141211_195049_zpspth812vs.jpg

20141211_195105_zpsqohbbtld.jpg

Last edited:
Ditched the spacers and cut the old springs to help lift the truck up. doesn't look perfect, but it works great to lift the truck up without sacrificing suspension travel.
20141215_103402_zpsqlpugvix.jpg

Welp, turns out my front diff is toast. Broken pinion gear ground the teeth down on it. Did some mad 2wd mobbing today. Should have a vid up later

I just looked through the BP Diff build that Skillet made, just looks like the spider gears are upgraded. But the ring gear on a new HPI diff has teeth that are about twice as tall as mine, and not as rounded over. also my ring gear has edges raised on each tooth, i'll upload a pic when I swap them out, it's uber messed up. I think the previous owner ran with a broken pinion gear for a long time and the metal shavings just filed everything down. I think I'll just replace the diff for a stock one, and maybe aluminum housings from FLM. The stock plastic one is chewed up inside. Poor truck was not taken care of lol.

In the process of a custom rear steering setup. Waiting on a new bellcrank and waterproof servo before I finalize everything. I also went ahead and ordered 2 sets of bulletproof ring and pinion's. Hoping to get all this installed and setup before the snow hits. We had an amazing sunny and 55 degree Christmas immediately followed by crappy cold 6 degree nights haha. Also relocating my tank since this thing runs hella lean when the tank is half empty. In the midst of my 4-wheel steering mod I found out someone installed a friggin Savox SC-1256TG steering servo! The one I got for the rear is a cheapo but has metal gears at least and still cranks 12kg/cm. I'm only planing on running 20% steer in the back. Extended arms are next, then probably 3-speed tranny and street tires!

20141229_232628_zpse3tmocm5.jpg

Rear steer is just about finished. Just need a little bit more trimming done to the bellcrank shaft due to binding on full lock. Finally figured out how to mount my servo. I guess "Upside-down" didnt occure to me until 2 days later lol. I ended up using a frame support bar and cutting it to fit since it already had screw holes tapped. Drilled/bored holes to secure the mounts and it all works wonderfully. Now I'm waiting on a couple Team Associated RC8T tanks to come in so I can try to find where I'm going to mount them. not much room with a pickup body. Hopefully it'll be ready to run on Monday!

Rear Steer is a go! Just waiting on new parts and my waterproof servo! Hopefully we get some snow soon so I can have some fun!
Click to view Video
th_20141231_100035_zpsdv0i1d5e.jpg

4 wheel steering mod is DONE! works great. Little HPI servo lags a bit, but it's only temporary. once I kill it Ill grab a waterproof Savox. Here's a little vid of my testing it out. The rears are on the right side.
[Click the picture for vid]
th_20150108_190820_zpsrr0skkyg.jpg

Right now I'm waiting on more parts, yet again. Got my sintered ring and pinion gears in, only to find out the ring gear takes a smaller bearing than my stock setup (not included of course) So I'm waiting on bearings to make there way here by next thursday :(

Back