First breaking of the t-maxx....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjman420

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
After a few hard crashes the spur gear is done and my fuel tank is cracked. Should i replace the spur gear with a hardened steel one, or a cheap nylon replacement? Also, is it possible to repair the cracked fuel tank with epoxy, JB weld, or some other product? Or should i just get a new fuel tank also?

I would go get a hardened one if it is a spur gear. I would also get a new tank to be sure there are no air leaks.

i put a steel spur on my revo and it totally tore up my clutch bell. i was told that if i had a steel spur that i should get a hardened clutch bell so it wouldnt tear it up. see how much they cost i went with the plastic spur. its alot cheaper to replace a spur than it is a clutch bell. and definetly go with a new fuel tank.

I like having the spur gear as the weak link, because it is SOOO much cheaper and easier than tearing apart the tranny, because if you use a metal spur gear but the rest of your driveline is stock, the next weak link may be very expensive to replace. I've bashed my T-Maxx very hard for about 4 months and only damaged one spur. As long as your engine bolts are tight, unless you have a VERY bad wreck (like one that would break the tank) you should be alright.

yes get a new tank and i would stick with the plastic spur gear

I will definetely get a new tank, and am leaning towards a plastic spur gear. Is there any difference between the traxxas spur gears and the Integy Delrin spur gears?

anything is better than traxxas! and i own a revo i agree with the others on the gears cause of the price.

i broke my tank also WFO!!!! they do make a repair cap and springs for the tanks.

metal spur and new tank and make sure you have a hardened CB.

Stay with plastic spur, just set the mesh right and you won't have any problems.

I've tried a lot quick fixes on tanks, just get a new one, it's not worth the effort.

I've had the same plastic spur that came in my Maxx since I got it last October. It doesn't even show a single sign of giving out, even though the Picco .26 that's in there is a monster for torque. I've got a spare but the only reason I can see to replace it would be if I forget to set the mesh or land wrong from a jump.

I had a big problem with spur gears before I got a roll bar/cage. Everytime I landed upside down the rear motor mounts would rip out due to landing on the cooling head. I went through about 10 spur gears and about 6-8 motor mounts. When I got the cage everything changed and I havent had to change a spur ger or motor mount yet, its been about 9 mos now on the same spur and mount with the cage. If the mesh is set right and you have protection form landing upside down you will be fine to run a stock spur.
But on the other hand I tried a steel spur before I got the cage to cheaply solve the problem and it just broke as well.
Do it right get a cage/roll bar I use the new era 3 point. It will save you tons of $$ in the long run in replacement spurs and motor mounts I promise

i broke my tank also WFO!!!! they do make a repair cap and springs for the tanks.

yes they do. i have a spare that i got with my revo when i purchased of my truck ( thanks robmob ) =]

i also got an integy fuel tank guard, noticing how scratched up its getting i think it was a wise choise. it protects the bottom like the stock but it also covers the exposed side of the tank. thats where it has the most scratches and dings

A roll cage sounds like something i should get. Anyone have any suggestions?

Tried to epoxy my savage tank, it works, but you need to redo it every now and then cuz the nitro eats through it, buy a new one :) I now epoxy the back of my tanks before they crack to make a buffer.

i broke off 1/3 of my spur gear when it was metal. Luckily I didnt damage the tranny. Since I got the New era roll bar I havent broke a single motor mount or stripped a spurr. I can now run stock spurs and motor mounts with out hassle

I like having the spur gear as the weak link, because it is SOOO much cheaper and easier than tearing apart the tranny, because if you use a metal spur gear but the rest of your driveline is stock, the next weak link may be very expensive to replace. I've bashed my T-Maxx very hard for about 4 months and only damaged one spur. As long as your engine bolts are tight, unless you have a VERY bad wreck (like one that would break the tank) you should be alright.
+10. my spur gear is like my failsafe. that will break first

+10. my spur gear is like my failsafe. that will break first

Thats why I went with a plastic spur gear, it was really easy to change out. The only change was I got a 70 tooth one instead of the stock 72 tooth gear. Now I can go faster and crash harder :doh:
I'm getting a roll bar next, so long as I don't break anything important first.

Back