exceed barca

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Problem Here

As stated above, if you would have read reviews of exceed vehicles somewhere OTHER than nitro rcx you would have figured out you would be better off saving your money and putting it towards something like an hpi 1/5 scale. As with anything, you get what you pay for. I don't see that anyone here was being disrespectful; instead just informing you that exceed isn't exactly known for high quality rigs and that may be why you're having such problems.

I wasn't having any trouble with mine...all I was doing was providing the correct oil/fuel mixture for the person that asked. Second... the NEW exceed barca is a lot better than the original one that first came out...my point was after better than 30 years in this hobby its not a bad buggy for the money if someone wants to get into 1/5 scale

---------- Post added at 7:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:09 PM ----------

Nobody made fun of you, and I only see one person behaving like a juvenile here. Exceed is a cheap brand, that's a fact. If you don't like hearing it, then don't mention them. If you're happy with the product, that's great. Just don't try to convince the rest of us, especially veteran builders & drivers, that the exceed stuff can in any way, shape or form compare with something from HPI, Losi, Associated, Tamiya, Kyosho, Durango, OFNA, XRay etc. It's like claiming that your Harbor Freight or Home Depot tool set is just as good as Snap-on or Matco, or that a Kia can run with a BMW, or that a Mossberg Maverick is somehow equal to a Benelli Supernova.............

Don't wear your feelings on your sleeve, don't look for insults where they don't exist, and do a little independent research on facetiousness/sarcasm and levity.

I better set the record straight and leave it be.. you think its juvenile, sorry you look at it that way. I own HPI products and honestly they are all great...made very well..... hell I even won an HPI jacket at a race competition...lol I wasn't trying to convince you that the Barca is the same class as the HPI but until you own one how can you make an educated decision on their quality? I get your point but I'm trying to understand why you would say their junk if you don't own one????? I've never had an issue with mine...

I get your point but I'm trying to understand why you would say their junk if you don't own one?????

I didn't say junk. I said cheap. I would reserve judgement on calling that particular vehicle junk until I had personal experience with it, but I do have some difficulty believing that it's leap-and-bounds beyond the other HSP/Exceed/Redcat stuff, which is squarely in the "get what ya pay for" category. Not so bad when you're only out $150 on a 1/10 scale, but even at half the price of the HPI or Losi 1/5 scale, $500 is still a lot of cheddar, and money I'd much rather spend on a quality 1/10 or 1/8 scale than a mediocre 1/5.

I started with a redcat volcano s30. Put way too much money into it. Everyone told me to Get a " name brand " I couldnt justify getting one as I was so attached to my first one but I was buying something for it every other day.
Used or not it was a money pit.
I kept telling myself 5 here 7 there 3 here 9 there 4 here wasn't t hat bad. But 115 quickly turned in to 200.. then turned into 250.... then 300...
I never finished it. I sold it with 6 motors I accumulated and all the old and nip parts.. brakes sucked so bad!
I paid 15 dollars more for a nice ofna violator and have put more gas threw that bashing in a day then I did the whole two months I owned the redcat. There cheaply made. But they hold up. But there cheaply made.
My ofna has yet to have an issue besides the rim I broke catching the pavement sideways.
T s30 was supposidly rtr but the motor was beyond runnable.
The ofna fires up every time with a little trim. And iv3 been running in 9 below weather threw snow and all. Have not lost any noticable compression ether.
I have to agree that name brands are built tougher and handle alot more beating

Last edited:
I didn't say junk. I said cheap. I would reserve judgement on calling that particular vehicle junk until I had personal experience with it, but I do have some difficulty believing that it's leap-and-bounds beyond the other HSP/Exceed/Redcat stuff, which is squarely in the "get what ya pay for" category. Not so bad when you're only out $150 on a 1/10 scale, but even at half the price of the HPI or Losi 1/5 scale, $500 is still a lot of cheddar, and money I'd much rather spend on a quality 1/10 or 1/8 scale than a mediocre 1/5.

You can also find good used 1/5 scale buggies as I did for that price range. After 5-years of selling and demoing cheaper vehicles at Radio Shack, I feel that I can agree that you get what you pay for.

When buying an RC vehicle here is what I look at:

1. Parts Support- Are there parts available locally so I don't have to wait 2-3 weeks to go and play?

2. Warranty-Is there somebody that will repair/replace defective parts?

3. Aftermarket Support-Are there upgrades available for weak/under-performing parts?

And last-Are there knowledgeable people around to help answer questions?

When buying an RC vehicle here is what I look at:

1. Parts Support- Are there parts available locally so I don't have to wait 2-3 weeks to go and play?

2. Warranty-Is there somebody that will repair/replace defective parts?

3. Aftermarket Support-Are there upgrades available for weak/under-performing parts?

And last-Are there knowledgeable people around to help answer questions?

Pretty good list. I'll add that:

1) in this day and age, don't let lack of local availability deter you from a good kit, so long as it's readily available online, shipped to your door within a few days. Very few of my kits have much in terms of local support, but I have no trouble at all getting whatever I broke over the weekend before the next weekend. Yeah, it's a plus when the LHS has your stuff, but around here, unless you're running an SC10, B/T4 (4.1, 4.2), one of a few Losi kits or a current production Traxxas, you're pretty much SOL for "right now" parts. NOBODY here carries squat for OFNA, XRay, Durango, Tamiya, Kyosho or vintage anything, but everything is available domestically.

Having a kit that isn't supported locally just means keeping decent stock of your likely-to-break parts on hand. Cheaper in the long run to order online anyway. I guess it would suck to break your only kit and be done for the day, but I never hit the track with fewer than 4 or 5.

However, with HSP & their rebrands, if you actually can find the part you need, it's frequently 2-6 weeks away on the slow boat from China.

2) Warranty. Pretty much a non-starter with RC anything. Even top brands only offer 30 days limited warranty. And I understand; not wise to provide a long warranty on an item that is going to be beat on due to the very nature of what it is. I agree to the extent that defective items not being covered ("tail light warranty") should be a big red flag. To that end, Associated is second to none in CS. They have replaced cooked ESCs for me based only on my word that they were problematic, supplied a warranty return envelope with the new unit. That is one of the reasons they remain my first choice, comprising 18 of my 23 vehicles.

2) Warranty. Pretty much a non-starter with RC anything. Even top brands only offer 30 days limited warranty. And I understand; not wise to provide a long warranty on an item that is going to be beat on due to the very nature of what it is. I agree to the extent that defective items not being covered ("tail light warranty") should be a big red flag. To that end, Associated is second to none in CS. They have replaced cooked ESCs for me based only on my word that they were problematic, supplied a warranty return envelope with the new unit. That is one of the reasons they remain my first choice, comprising 18 of my 23 vehicles.

I disagree about the warranty, I've had great experiences with Traxxas and Horizon Hobby.

Horizon Hobby:
After I had my LST XXL for a month my shift servo went out, I called HH and they sent a new one out no problem. Then a month or so later my pull start broke when I went to use it the first time, again I called HH and they sent one out...I also told them that my shocks leaked from day 1, they sent a rebuild kit and some more oil. Another time, purchased a lightly used Nano CPX heli and it started acting up a few days later. HH is the parent company for Blade so I called them up and explained what was going on, they sent out a new 5-in-1 ($75 part) with no problems. Then, when I bought a MSR X, the motor would stop when I tried going WOT, called HH and they said they would send a new ESC combo, I came home to a new RTF MSR X sitting at my door.

Traxxas:
I picked up a used Bandit VXL, I got it in 2012 and it was a 2009 model. After beating on it for a while, the ESC let out the magic smoke. I called Traxxas and the guy told me about their "lifetime warranty" on electronics. It's not a "full" warranty, but you can send in your old setup and they'll send you the newest version for a discounted price. I can send in my 2009 edition, non-waterproof VXL system and they'll sell me a brand new VXL for $95....you can't really beat that deal. The other time was with my 1/16 scale Camaro, I ran it at the track and smoked the ESC. I called Traxxas and told them about it, being as I won it in a raffle, I didn't have "proof of purchase" but they still sent me a new updated ESC.

I know for a fact that the knock off brands wouldn't treat you the same way. I hated Christmas time when I worked at my last LHS, the mall would get the little carts selling the crappy helis and a lot of the customers would be grandparents getting something for their grandkids. After Christmas, the carts were no longer there and people would come in thinking we could get parts....I hated telling some old lady that she just wasted her money on a POS toy that was basically just a model now. The worst part was that they weren't any cheaper than the Blade brand, especially now that Blade has dropped their prices on the smaller helis.

Pretty good list. I'll add that:

1) in this day and age, don't let lack of local availability deter you from a good kit, so long as it's readily available online, shipped to your door within a few days. Very few of my kits have much in terms of local support, but I have no trouble at all getting whatever I broke over the weekend before the next weekend. Yeah, it's a plus when the LHS has your stuff, but around here, unless you're running an SC10, B/T4 (4.1, 4.2), one of a few Losi kits or a current production Traxxas, you're pretty much SOL for "right now" parts. NOBODY here carries squat for OFNA, XRay, Durango, Tamiya, Kyosho or vintage anything, but everything is available domestically.

Having a kit that isn't supported locally just means keeping decent stock of your likely-to-break parts on hand. Cheaper in the long run to order online anyway. I guess it would suck to break your only kit and be done for the day, but I never hit the track with fewer than 4 or 5.

However, with HSP & their rebrands, if you actually can find the part you need, it's frequently 2-6 weeks away on the slow boat from China.

I agree mostely. The one thing I dont is readily availability for hsp/exceed/redcat. You go on ebay there are plent of sellers in us. Hsp is half price as redcat and they all fit.
And I have one guy on ebay who used to send packages a week of a bunch of parts, the more I ordered the more I saved. He was a great guy and a great salesman. Always let me know what was better or cheaper or the best way.
Thats one thing I just can't agree with you guys.
Cheaply made-AGREED
Aftermarket support-disagree

But I'm not going to go recommend those when you can get a nice used 1/8th for less then a new 1/10th.

If I buy redcat ever again it will be because it was dirt cheap and I wanna pound the sh!t out of it.

On the other hand, I take care of my ofna, can't drive it so today is my go over everything day!
Adjusted and repositioned my shocks to get rid of the squat!!

I disagree about the warranty, I've had great experiences with Traxxas and Horizon Hobby.

A lot of manufacturers will take care of things outside of warranty, but it is done at their discretion. Kel Tec, for example, offers a lifetime warranty on their firearms to the original purchaser, but they have never, ever asked me to verify that when I've needed parts. They could, and likely would if they thought the firearm (or their warranty) were being abused by a particular individual. It's CYA.

It's great that they took care of you, but straight from the horses mouth:

Traxxas Warranty Service
Article #23101

How do I get Traxxas warranty service?

All warranty claims should be handled directly through Traxxas and not your hobby dealer. If you suspect you have a warranty claim, contact Traxxas toll free at 1-888-TRAXXAS (1-888-872-9927). Many times we are able to immediately solve problems over the phone.Traxxas Corporation assumes responsibility for their products and will repair or replace any defective product at their sole discretion.

Our toll-free customer service line provides direct access to our highly experienced factory trained representatives. In most cases, warranty items are sent out the same day the request is received. In the event that factory service is required, our technicians are usually able to make repairs within a 3-5 working day time frame after we receive the product.

In addition to these warranties, Traxxas offers an extended service plan for electronic components after the 30-day warranty has expired. This plan states that Traxxas will repair electronic components, excluding speed controls, at any time throughout the life of the part, for a flat rate of $15.00 plus $5.00 for shipping and handling. The electronic components covered under this service plan include certain Traxxas transmitters, receivers, and servos.

Traxxas sent me 2 new diffs, and a servo. I think they've got great customer service......now if they'd only stop making everything out of plastic.

Back