Engine leak

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rc legend

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,i have a problem with my car,when i pull the starter,fuel dispells from the cylinder head?like iv got a leak but piston & liner seem tight,also seems low compression?abviously because there is a leak somewhere,can someone help me?
as I'm stupped at the mo?

welcome.

first up, one thread is enough, someone will come along soon enough to help.

now to your issue. there are 4 screws down inside the cooling head on the engine. those need to be tight. but they also need to be tightened down a certain way. so lets start with taking those off, and checking the mating surfaces between the cooling head and the crank case. get some pics and post them here so we can see what it looks like.
be careful as there may be some very thin metal shims in place between the head and crank case.

then when you put it back together, run the 4 screws just finger tight, then turn them in a X pattern a 1/2 a little at a time until they are all tight. you want to tighten them down evenly.

20150806_162731.jpg

with the head off when u pull the starter,a little fuel
dispells of the top,is this normal??

yes. the engine is basically just an air pump. the sleeve looks a little mared up, but not terrible. i would put it back together with the procedure i listed, and see what happens.

also be sure to use blue locktight on the head screws.

Last edited:
Hi,does the sleeve need a washer on?

That sleeve kind of rough around the edges.

it is kinda rough, but its worth a try to see if you can get it sealed up. if not, you will have to get a new sleeve and piston.

if it had a shim on it, it needs to go back on.

What engine is it? Brand/size? May not be worth re-sleeving.
Hi,its a vertex 18 Engine,probably.not the best,woul
d yo u know of any better engines or is it worth try ing to fix it?