Engine doesn't start!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duality

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey RC Nitro Talk forums, I signed up because I am in need of some help. I just got into the RC Nitro hobby and bought my first RC Nitro car (Shockwave 4wd Buggy).

Today, I spent 3 hrs trying to start the bad boy up. I followed the instructions, I primed the engine with fuel - took glowplug out and pull the starter upside down since maybe I flooded it. Checked glowplug, glows up bright orange so I know everything is in order. Air filter oil is set into place, added a little fuel into the carb as the manual states. IDK what else to try!!

Could use some help here, really want to enjoy my new toy. Thanks for looking! :)

Edit: Got it working, used AliShanmao's unflooding engine method then it started it, just have to fix the carb opening. Thanks for all who looked!

Last edited:
you DO NOT want fuel going from the tank to the exhaust, its a pressure line only to force the fuel to the carb, kinda like a fuel pump.

usually i prime the carb by taking the fuel pressure line off the exhaust and using my model aircraft fuel filler i blow some air in the line.....this pressurizes the tank and forces fuel up the main fuel line to the carb.

once i know the fuel is in the line right up to the carb i squirt a little fuel in the carb, put my filter on and i set the trim on my controller to allow a slightly bigger gap on the carb slide......usually fires up after 2-3 pulls.

you must also make sure your needles on your carb are set up correctly. try the above first then come back and we will go from there buddy.

you DO NOT want fuel going from the tank to the exhaust, its a pressure line only to force the fuel to the carb, kinda like a fuel pump.

usually i prime the carb by taking the fuel pressure line off the exhaust and using my model aircraft fuel filler i blow some air in the line.....this pressurizes the tank and forces fuel up the main fuel line to the carb.

once i know the fuel is in the line right up to the carb i squirt a little fuel in the carb, put my filter on and i set the trim on my controller to allow a slightly bigger gap on the carb slide......usually fires up after 2-3 pulls.

you must also make sure your needles on your carb are set up correctly. try the above first then come back and we will go from there buddy.

Oh okay, well then - the carb is primed because I can see the fuel going into it. My controller doesn't seem to have an option to let the carb more open, but I did try firing it up with the throttle a little open and that didn't work. All my needles are the default factory settings. Thanks for quick response.

The throttle trim on your radio will allow the Carb to open up more. Just turn the throttle trim up a little when trying to start and see if that helps.