Engine cooling heads

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris407

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
what is the difference between a $10 aluminum cooling head and a $39 one? is it just an OEM part and is there a huge difference in the quality?

Depends on the brand. Lets compare the nova head vs stock. Nova is billet alu stock is cast. The nova will cool your engine another 20 deg and is hardrr alu so wont scar as easy.

It may not be made out of good enough quality materials- and anyway, my cooling head is battered so much that it is missing one fin, almost totally silver and the fins below are bent- my engine hasn't given me any problems yet. When I upgrade the engine I'll try not to destroy it so much :p

It sounds like you opted for the "Mad Max" look for your Trophy! Have you seen the movie trailer yet? friggin badass!

It sounds like you opted for the "Mad Max" look for your Trophy! Have you seen the movie trailer yet? friggin badass!
Don't think my cooling heads quite that badass, it was closer before I glued the rest of the fin on and coloured it in with the highlighter- but It's still pretty battered :p

Attachments

• IMG_20150207_122014.jpg
    IMG_20150207_122014.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 118
Wow, Man it looks like it's gone through one hell of a torture test! what kit are you currently driving?

Wow, Man it looks like it's gone through one hell of a torture test! what kit are you currently driving?
Same as you :) Oh and by the way, I drove it under a BMW 5 series- luckily the owner wasn't there :p

Hmmm that's an interesting place to wind up. I ordered a cheap aluminum head and i am going to compare the engine temps as a little science project :) Also i am going to get some 40k Shock oil. I would like to know what engine you find to swap into the trophy. i have looked and found some that looked like they had the same setup as far as the needles and carb but i am not sure on the mounting to the chasis, although with the right tools mounting might not be too much of an issue.

Hmmm that's an interesting place to wind up. I ordered a cheap aluminum head and i am going to compare the engine temps as a little science project :) Also i am going to get some 40k Shock oil. I would like to know what engine you find to swap into the trophy. i have looked and found some that looked like they had the same setup as far as the needles and carb but i am not sure on the mounting to the chasis, although with the right tools mounting might not be too much of an issue.
I am looking into the Novarossi P5XLT, It's about £150. Also, your "science experiment" sounds quite good, and will come in useful for me too :)

@sv250 thanks for the info on Billited vs. Cast, that's the info i needed.
Billet means that the shape is formed when A big block of the metal is heated and compressed to the right shape, cast is where they pour it into a mold- so it has more imperfections and is less dense than blllet...if you wanted to know :p

that explains the "stack" look to your Nova head... thats cool.

A billet is a solid block that the CNC machine mills the part from.
Sorry, my mistake getting mixed up with some other random thing I know.....did you know that the worlds largest car park is the M25?

....did you know that the worlds largest car park is the M25?
Sure, everybody knows that, but did you know you could save 15% in 15 minutes by going to Geico?
(If you're not in the U.S. you just might not get that.) :D

Hey, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike....Does anyone know what DAY it IS?

Sure, everybody knows that, but did you know you could save 15% in 15 minutes by going to Geico?
(If you're not in the U.S. you just might not get that.) :D

Hey, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike....Does anyone know what DAY it IS?
I'm not in the U.S.A and I don't know what Geico is :p- but if you actually got the M25 thing then I'm surprised (If you didn't know it's the ring road around London and it's always full of traffic)

Back