Do I need a new engine?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter Moore

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have a Savage XSS with a new Roto Starter and was informed that the piece behind the engine backing that connects the roto starter to the piston shaft is missing and needs to be fixed. When I removed the Roto Start piece from the engine and went to open the engine plating I saw that somebody had tried to undo an Allen Wrench bitted screw with a Star Bit and it broke off in there and I can't get it out.
Is this fixable or do I need to just find a completely new engine?

can you post a pic?

can you post a pic?
I can't post any pictures because they are "Too Large For The Servers"
But I can tell you the bolt is flush with the head of screw and is in a 2mm allen wrench head
Thanks

Change the size of the picture on your phone or whatever your using,can't be any bigger than 2mb!...woodie just doubled it for us,...that should put it around like an 8mp photo I think

or you could go use photobucket

Change the size of the picture on your phone or whatever your using,can't be any bigger than 2mb!...woodie just doubled it for us,...that should put it around like an 8mp photo I think
It's actually setup for allow for 3MB files which is more than super huge for forum use. @Hunter Moore There are plenty places online that can be used to resize pictures to a smaller version, I have used picmonkey.com several times for one example.

It's actually setup for allow for 3MB files which is more than super huge for forum use. @Hunter Moore There are plenty places online that can be used to resize pictures to a smaller version, I have used picmonkey.com several times for one example.
Bottom Right Bolt

Attachments

• Savage Star Bit.jpg
    Savage Star Bit.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 174
Wow, that's a tough one. You can't drill it and use an EZ-out because it's hardened and it's not threaded. You can use a grinder or a Dremel with a cutting wheel but you will do some damage. Probably not enough to lose the part but just some cosmetics.
You can try a pair of needle nose pliers but I don't know which way you should turn them. I don't know if they broke the star bit while tightening or loosening. However it broke, you'd need to go the other way to pop it loose. You might be able to shake it loose with a worn out bit in a hammer drill.
Good luck. Let us know.

I've read of people solding tools to screws like that, and gently backing them out...no sure if that will work, it more of a stripped hex trick.

You could get a small pointy grinding rock and try to grind away just the torx part and then take a cut off wheel and cut a slot across the bolt and use a flat head to back the bolt out.

Other option is you could get a good center punch or cold chisel put the block in a vise and put chisel on the engine bolt and gently back it out.

Thanks for the advice, I will try those ideas if the hobby shop can't find a way to get it out.
Thanks,
Hunter