Computer Tip To Save Your Eyes

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfreak

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
If you have a CRT monitor on your computer (means not a flat screen), there is a possibility that you’re making life harder on your eyes than it needs to be. To find out, do the following:

1)Right click on the desktop (not and icon)
2)Choose Properties from the resulting menu
3)Click on the Settings tab at the top.
4)Click Advanced button on the lower right
5)Now click on the Monitor tab from the resulting screen that pops up

You’ll see a “Refresh Frequency” or something that sounds like that. If you see “60Hz” in the box, you’ve been subjecting your eyes to undo strain for who knows how long. On my monitor, I have the option of 70Hz, 75Hz and 85Hz. Basically, the higher you can put this number, the less the monitor will bug your eyes. I use 85Hz.

Choose the highest frequency you can and apply it. Your monitor may get weird on you. On most monitors, you can adjust the black spaces on the top and bottom of the screen with the controls on the face of the monitor. When you make this change to 85hz, all the previous tweaks you made to your monitor in terms or shape and size may be reset. Just change everything back to the way you like it via your monitor controls and you’re good to go.

If you’re curious what the difference is, give this experiment a try. Open something with a huge white background. Try a blank document in word or maybe just google. Now, look at the very very upper left most part of your monitor (the plastic bezel). Hold your eyes there and see if you can “feel” a pulsing at 60Hz. Change to 85Hz and repeat the experiment. The difference is like night and day.

I honestly don't know how Dell, IBM, HP, Gateway and other manufactures send out their machines. Hopefully, they use 85Hz. Also, these instructions work on Windows 2000 and I think Windows 98. You should be able to get the same screens in Windows XP, but you'll probably have to fumble around to find where to go. Maybe someone with XP can post another set of instructions.

-bigfreak

Holy Moly. I did not just post this in GENERAL NITRO!!! Holy..... Can someone put it in General Chaos. I'm such a RETARD!!!!!!!!!

It's been moved, and you're not a retard. You have the honorable distinction of being a geek. Me? I'm just a dork.

You're hardly a dork, but that avatar is friggen hilarious.

Thanks for moving my thread.

my HP at work was set at 60hz so I followed your instructions and changed it to 85hz it worked fine. I am running xp pro. Thanks for the tip.

Cool. I hadn't thought of that. I have found that my eyes totally bug out to 60 Hz, but didn't bother to take the time to change it. I am on a Dell and it came at 60. I think I can go as high as 120 but my monitor won't support that.. Thanks..

I also dim all my colors on the monitor when I frst get them hooked up.....man that really makes a difference

That does help mine was already at 75 and went to 85 seem to look alot smoother and not so crisp mabe my eyes will start to loose that red tint blood shot look lol.

JESSE G said:
mabe my eyes will start to loose that red tint blood shot look lol.

are you sure its the monitor causing that................lol

Last edited:
Hey man thanks that helps me alot really apricieate the tip

bigfreak said:
Holy Moly. I did not just post this in GENERAL NITRO!!! Holy..... Can someone put it in General Chaos. I'm such a RETARD!!!!!!!!!

hey now that was a nice tip but dont talk yourself up that much

RETARDed pilot

It should be noted that Windows XP defaults to 60Hz refresh rate. A lot video card drivers now have a section in them specifically to set the refresh rates for various resolutions. This comes in handy for gaming, where the menus or game itself might be played at a different resolution, than your desktop is set to.

For those still using Win9x, just set it to the "optimal" setting. That will automatically seek out the highest rate your monitor can handle.

Yes.. also if you have problems with headaches, or nausea after using a certaincomputer perhaps the rate on that particular monitor bothers me.. there is a frequency and I am not sure wich, but it gives me blinding headaches.. another setting makes me sick.. bad sick I keep mine at 75 and it's happy.. so am I :D

Awesome TIP!

Mine was set to 60 and it goes to 144hz, so i put it there.

Back