Cheap SOB Crawler Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, gonna need it too Rolex. Well, I spent the rainy weekend pretty much finishing this rig up. With the custom front axle setup, I'll need to pick up some wheels that let me run adjustable offset hubs, but that will have to wait until after Christmas. For now, the pro lines up front and rocksters in back get me closer that it was, still just over an inch off though; I'm at 11" front TW and almost 10" rear.

Finished up the steering rack and electronics, running another BIA RX, love these things. A 3s 460mah pack fits just right, just need to solder up an adapter

OVVS2At.jpg

This is how much steering I ended up with, nothing binding, nothing rubbing anywhere

cDMsdu9.jpg

And of course, some poser shots :D

dv29uWH.jpg

ns7asoG.jpg

I moved my RX inside the frame to make room for larger packs, this is an old 800mah 3s pack, so I think newer packs like nano techs I can probably fit a 1000-1200mah pack up there. Can't wait to hit the rocks!

nFXkbdc.jpg

Looking great man. Good turning angle too.

I finally got to get out on the rocks over the Thanksgiving holiday, and got some playtime at the T1e RC compound. Huge thanks to Rusty for having me out for some crawling and rig abuse, and all the advice and pointers. I had a ton of fun!

The rig did well, but I need to fab some steering stops or buy knucks that have them, as I have so much steering that it will bind even the shaved unis. But mostly, I just need to work on my driving, as I'm terrible at this. :D

2NR7h1r.jpg

iUgQFws.png

A5b43CY.jpg

Well I spent my evening swapping everything over to my new chassis. It's a V1 ECD ringer, and so far, I'm not very happy with it. I should have done more research. It has tons of flex, most of it in the chassis itself. :hehe: I do however have some carbon that's long enough, so I'm going to buy a respirator tomorrow and it's back to the cheap SOB fab shop. :D I'll make it work, one way or the other.

es0kE5x.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I was told not to worry so much about the flex, and get to it.

Did some work last night. Carefully cut my links down to get a 12.25" WB, got the drive shaft angles where I want them, laid the shocks down, moved my upper links, added chassis spacers / stiffeners, and got my body mounts where they need to be. Once I get my electronics trimmed up and wired in, she's ready to rock n roll.

wi9EUb0.jpg

GFyG0WO.jpg

Obligatory poser shot

IFqovRb.jpg

Last edited:
Cleaned up the electronics tonight, and UPS hosed me on a part that was supposed to be here today by 8PM, so I'm stuck till tomorrow.

I had this mess before

RIy25Qo.jpg

Decided to try my first smash, pile of leftovers on the right (still need to heat shrink the bullet connectors. And yes the heat sink was removed. The ESC is designed to run up to 6s for extended periods, and the designer said for shorter runs in a comp crawler on lower cell count packs, they run fine this way. Lots of guys have been running them for a long time. BUT, do so at your own risk, like all mods to OEM parts.)

6S6T1Wy.jpg

Couple more updates, Savox 1231SG, Racer's Edge dual clamping horn, and Crawler Innovations servo clamp / guard. I guess it's no longer a super cheap build, but should still come in at less than half what a 2.2s comp rig would cost had you bought it all new.

gGUWBVk.jpg

jaDWyHC.jpg

I built up a set of SCX10 shocks with MRC springs that should work better for this chassis tonight. Going to tear into it tomorrow and do the swap, working on the Wraith tonight.

0fpZiXR.jpg

Last edited:
I missed the updates, like the clean up on your wiring.

Did some more work on the rig tonight. Got my SCX shocks installed, and removed the Losi shocks, which may end up on the Wraith.

GV6ESQw.jpg

Huge difference in size and weight.

klcLyMN.jpg

I also beveled and rounded my rear left lower link that was interfering with an upper link

pjJCbw7.jpg

Well, I picked up some parts to help fix my offset due to difference in axle width.

Some beautifully made shift hubs from Brain at Lattice Works Innovations, SLW spacing, and no hex needed with these either. They come with a nice assortment of spacers to adjust offset also.

0EU1j2M.jpg

And I snagged some cheap Axial trail ready bead locks, and simply bolted the hub up to run the wheel backwards

81HtrJQ.jpg

n0VjXzC.jpg

I also lowered and trimmed my body for more breakover angle

UDZNSZN.jpg

Track width is just under 11" at each end now

Tf7GZ9Z.jpg

The new hubs look sick!

]And I snagged some cheap Axial trail ready bead locks

Are these wheels holding a tire? I can easily pull the tires out of the beads on mine.

Thanks Pete, Brian is a great guy to deal with also.

They hold the Rovers great, I can pull very hard and they hold. But, I've heard that about the BFG tires, which sucks because both the tires and wheels look great IMHO.

Same thing with RC4WD wheels, if you're not running their tires it's a crap shoot whether they'll hold or not from what I've read.

I guess it's the BFG tires and I really went with the poison spyder because of them on these wheels. I never had problems with rc4wd wheels and I hope my luck continues because I just bought a set for the wraith lol

Well, having bought the drill press, it was time to get back to this project, the 2014 season is rapidly approaching.

Tonight, I decided to make some better outer rock rings for my front wheels. Tools used, drill press, drill press vise, various bits, and of course, safety glasses.

4E2bbnH.jpg

I started by picking up some 2.25" x .125" washers at the local Hardware store, just slightly larger than a 2.2" wheel. Use your old beadlock ring, and once centered, mark the first two holes, opposite each other and drill. Then stick a bolt through and lock them with a nut on the back side to hold the ring in place.

m7TlA0R.jpg

This one's been drilled, but you get the idea

dniFMEx.jpg

Once you get all your holes drilled, go back with a bit slightly larger than the bolt head, go a little at a time until you figure out how deep to go to recess the head, then lock your depth stop, and drill the rest of the holes just deep enough to recess the head so they won't snag on the rocks.

Y5sDD3l.jpg

It should look like this

AJhWyha.jpg

And when you're all done, you'll have this. I opted to use half the bolts the originals had, and being just slightly larger they still hold like a vise.

2yfaG7w.jpg

I'm really happy with how they turned out, and super happy I bought the drill press. So many things I can fab easily now. Next up, gonna try my hand at homemade knuckle weights.

Last edited:
Where do i sign up for a set?...... :)