Car always moving

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liverpoolman

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
The wheels and clutch are moving on my nitro car. I have tuned it to the controller and adjusted the idle adjustment screw but wheels keep moving. Any advice?

The wheels and clutch are moving on my nitro car. I have tuned it to the controller and adjusted the idle adjustment screw but wheels keep moving. Any advice?

You have a clutch problem. The bearings are probably bad or it could be a shoe dragging.

Lee

Thank you Lee! How can I fix this problem?

If the bearings are bad then replace them or check to make sure your clutch spring or springs (depending on what clutch your using) are not stretched out or you will end up with this.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 190
as my car is new, should I send it back or try to fix myself?

as my car is new, should I send it back or try to fix myself?

Depends on your skill level, and how soon you want to drive it. You're gonna need to become intimately familiar with the mechanics of your kit at some point, though.

Did you buy it from a local shop? If so, most of them are more than willing to help sort out minor problems like this.

If there is a defective or improperly installed part, most manufacturers are pretty good about sending out replacement parts if you explain the problem to them and fax/email a copy of your purchase receipt so that they can confirm it is under warranty.

If you send it back to the manufacturer under warranty, it could be weeks before you're playing........

Really you should learn to troubleshoot as nitro vehicles require constant maintenance.

With all due respect based on your questions how do you know your idle is set correctly. A difference of .5mm can engage the clutch. If the car is new I'd be surprised the clutch has gone, but if you've been "tuning" your idle and trim chance are better it's not set correctly.

Do this: start the car...turn idle down (via idle screw) as low as you can go (just until it gets tight). Next slowly turn in your trim. Tell us what happens. Not saying this will fix your issue as there is more to do, the car will shut off. but this is first troubleshooting step.Watch to see if the wheels stop turning at all while doing this.

Also. I advice to only use your trim for very small adjustments...if any. Ideally you should not even use it at all. For throttle you alost always need to adjust your linkage if using trim---assuming you want it set up correctly.

Last edited:
No disrespect at all! I do not know if my idle is set correctly. I will do as you say and see what happens. Thank you for the advice. I understand I need to learn more about troubleshooting. This is why I am here.

---------- Post added at 5:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:05 PM ----------

Thanks for the advice. No its not a local shop, but I may take it to a local shop to see if they can assist me.

Just don't want to see you spend money until you rule out most common issues. We can certainly help get you going.

1. What car/engine is it?
2. How many tank through it?
3. Are the wheels just spinning when off the ground, or does vehicle move when on the ground? How badly?
4. You noted you turn the idle screw and trim. Often you turn ccw to close idle, and cw to open. Did idle drop when you turned the screw?
5. Does idle drop when apply brakes?
6. Have you touched the throttle linkage and/or removed the throttle servo horn?

Just some questions to guide us in helping.

Yup - I agree w/ Nitro Nerd. Please be weary of the LHS. These folks love selling any and everything. Best to become educated to the max - only go to the LHS with specific part numbers you need. Also, don't be shy to call your car's manufacturers tech support. They are there to answer questions for FREE and to provide any support they can (especially if there is a bad pard). Cheers & happy problem solving (the absolute best part of this hobby!).

hi Nitro nerd! Thanks for you advice. As requested here is the answers to you questions.

Model: HPI Trophy 3.5 Buggy 2.4Ghz engine is 3.5(.21 cubic inch)
No. of tanks used! 7
Car is moving when wheels on on the ground car moves away by itself. Not full speed
only turned idle screw a quarter of 1 turn clockwise.
Clutch still engaged when applying the brakes.
I have turned the Throttle trim on controller as per instruction manual!

Any help would be greatly received. I will be trying your advice on the idle screw. Tomorrow.
Thanks again

hi Nitro nerd! Thanks for you advice. As requested here is the answers to you questions.
only turned idle screw a quarter of 1 turn clockwise.

That's probably your issue right there. Try turning the idle-stop counter-clockwise and see what happens. ;-)