Building a submarine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnSampson

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm trying to create a ballast tank, it is going to have a screw that will move a disk that will pull in and push out water, how will I control a motor without a new speed controller

Look up servo winch, that might be an option but it will have to be a strong servo

What do you think would be the best idea for the ballast tank?

I've never thought about it but you could try to find info on Rc submarines, they have the ability to dive and re surface.

They have ballast parts here
http://www.rc-sub-workshop.com

Google rc submarine ballast, lots of info

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure he wants to build something that floats then sinks them floats again :D

I'm pretty sure he wants to build something that floats then sinks them floats again :D
We don't know that. Ballast is also used to keep ships level and steady. Wooden sailing ships used rocks. Big tankers will fill with sea water rather than run empty.
Maybe he want to keep a monster truck from tipping over. Too bad we don't have any more information. It would be helpful.

More info: I'm trying to make a homemade RC submarine and I have 20-22 ish Inches of room (I don't have it with me now) And I want to be able to control the depth of the sub and take in and expel water

Easy enough to take it in just by opening a valve or gate. Expel it with the same setup used for air powered retracts.

I am building myself a custom submarine, and would like to know what the best (aka... Cheapest) way to fiberglass the outside.

NOTHING about this hobby is cheap. Remember, the outer shell protects all the really expensive parts so if you're looking to cut corners, that's the wrong place.

So I'm going to buy 3 small water pumps, they are 12v DC motor pumps how can I hook them all up to be controlled by the reciever

So do you just buy a bunch of epoxy And denatured alcohol and go for it?

I would suggest a brushed motor controller (ESC) for each one. You'll need to see how much current they draw and then get an ESC that can handle outputting that kind of power.

You need to make a mold. Then you need to cover it with a release agent. You'll need the woven fiberglass cloth and the 2 part resin. You'll also need a grinder and a VERY good respirator since the dust is extremely dangerous if it gets in your lungs.
There's nothing about this that's either going to be easy or cheap.

Do you know where I can find these. Is there one you recommend

I need a way to be able to control a DC pump through the transmitter with a toggle switch (on/off)

An also is there a way to extend the wire coming out of the reciever because the reciever is going to be submerged and it is 2.4 ghz and I want to bring the antenna and wire up trough the water

You need to make a mold. Then you need to cover it with a release agent. You'll need the woven fiberglass cloth and the 2 part resin. You'll also need a grinder and a VERY good respirator since the dust is extremely dangerous if it gets in your lungs.
There's nothing about this that's either going to be easy or cheap.
Fiber glass is VERY nasty stuff if you breathe it in...not nice.

Back