Broken Alloy Link End Screw Dilema...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPI-Killer

Axial Axle Twisting Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So my vxl wraith+curb= busted link ends and busted screws that holds it all together... My question/dilema is that I'm having a brain fart on how to get the broken screws out of the link... They are busted inside the link so pliers can't help me.

What can I attempt to do to remove them from the links? I'm guessing that its a lost cause...

Thanks guys.

could try a smaller drill bit, might grab while reversing and unscrew. I had that happen on alum links before and its a pain sometimes. I was able to get a small hole started then super glued the bit in and unscrewed it that way lol.

Yay lol I hope I can get it out. Think I could do that or maybe use a tiny flat head and hammer a groove into the screw and back it out that way.. Just glad I didnt locktite them in haha.

I'd use a dremel with a thin cutting wheel, cut a notch in ti so you can take it out with s a standard screwdriver.

You may mar the end up a bit, but it will still be usable.

You could also sacrifice an old hex key, put some epoxy/JB Weld on the screw and stick the old bit in then let it set.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I'd use a dremel with a thin cutting wheel, cut a notch in ti so you can take it out with s a standard screwdriver.

You may mar the end up a bit, but it will still be usable.

Only problem with that is I will have to dremel into the end of my alloy link at least an 1/8" and most likely ruin the thread and any chance of a tight fit with a new end..

You could also sacrifice an old hex key, put some epoxy/JB Weld on the screw and stick the old bit in then let it set.

Good suggestion, I assume by hex key you mean the wheel tools most rigs and kits come with for removing the wheel nuts and such? Looks like a cross?

Good news is, there were no large deep bodies of water to plunge my rig and wallet into this time. This time I was not looking where I was going while I was WOT then looked just in time to see her hit.... Me+Looking away for a split second=broken or drowned RCs...:hehe:

Could say screw it and go TI links like a man :D

Only problem with that is I will have to dremel into the end of my alloy link at least an 1/8" and most likely ruin the thread and any chance of a tight fit with a new end..

Good suggestion, I assume by hex key you mean the wheel tools most rigs and kits come with for removing the wheel nuts and such? Looks like a cross?

No, just an old/cheap hex driver or Allen wrench.

No, just an old/cheap hex driver or Allen wrench.

Oh ok ok I see what you mean now derr, would the broken screw end and the allen bond a strong enough adhesion but at the same time not weld to the female thread in the link?

Or maybe if I use "water" in this process? maybe go diving in a lake while doing this and make sure to have my rig fully submerged along with me and my link, bet that would work yo! :hehe:

Back