Body repair experiment.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tvjv2009

The dork that asks all the stupid questions...
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I was wondering if anyone had experience repairing bodies. I had about 10 decent bashing sessions on one of the cheap-o traxxas brand stock type tmaxx body. Well the thing broke into pieces behind the cab where the fuel access comes through the bed. I have zero experience repairing any body. So I am set out to do a bit of experimenting. I took some pictures of the body before, but accidently erased them from my phone. If it turns out decent, I will explain what I did. If not, I will spare you details.

Get a roll of yellow, sticky back mesh tape for sheet rock, stick it into place and add a good smear of Shoo-Goo on top of it.
Both available in any hardware store.

Thanks Rolex! I probably should have done some research before doing this project. I it in the truck all week and think what might work.. What I did was bonded the two pieces of the body back together with pvc adhesive. I let it sit overnight. Then I got a can of Rustoleum bed liner. I sprayed the inside of the body with two cotes. Then the rest on the outside. I let it set up good and painted the outside. I am going to let it set for a few days as I hit the road in the morning. but it sure looks durable. I will use the drywall mesh/shoe goo on my next body for sure! Kind of a preventive deal! Thanks again!!

I had some Gorilla tape on it, witch usually sticks to anything, but I think the burnt oil from the exhaust would not let it stick.

Shoe Goo is probably one of my all time favorite substances...I use it for almost everything. In fact I think my duct tape is feeling a bit ignored these days lol

I had no idea about shoo goo in rc. I remember mom using that stuff on our shoes growin up. lol

Shoe Goo is a must have in the pit case as is E5000 (another adhesive) and some duct tape.

After washing it with Dawn, give it a thorough clean and wipe with denatured alcohol.

Shoo Goo on shoes? Who would ever have thought of using it for THAT?

After washing it with Dawn, give it a thorough clean and wipe with denatured alcohol.

Shoo Goo on shoes? Who would ever have thought of using it for THAT?
Weired aint it?

Kyosho makes a body repair material call FRP. This stuff is so cool! It comes in a sheet that has an adhesive protective peel off film on both sides.

To use this simply cut out a piece that is large enough to repair the crack/tear in you body. Peel off the protective film from one side of the FRP and stick in onto the body (from the inside) then peel off the protective film from the other side of the film and put the body outside so that the FRP film is hit by the sunlight. Within 10 minutes the FRP will cured and it will be as hard as a rock.

I have used all the body repair methods mentioned on this thread and for me the FRP is by far and away the best method. Here is the link for this film. NOTE- keep this out of the sunlight!

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/FRP-Gel-Sheet10_p_6799.html

Lee

Thanks for sharing!

I love how they dont give the dimensions of this "sheet". It better be a good sized "sheet" to make it worth $18.22

Duck tape lol. Duck tape people. :). My old revo body was beat to pieces and was held together with duck tape. I probably got another 30-40 extra good bash's in with a simple, easy cheap fix. They make all color's and it can be painted.

Well I got home a bit ago and checked out my body to see if it would flex without breaking. I could twist the snot out of it without breaking!!! I think it may be a success.. of course we will have to beat it like a cheap drum to be sure... The paint is not the best but this is a basher after all...
IMG_1394.JPG
IMG_1395.JPG

I will have to try that out on the next one!

I repaired the split with pvc cement, and then covered it in bed liner and then painted it..
IMG_1389.JPG
IMG_1390.JPG
IMG_1395.JPG
IMG_1395.JPG

2 cotes of bedliner on the inside of body, and the rest of it on the outside.