Blew my first rear diff on YETI

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griff7373

RCTalk Addict
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I charged up my new MaxAmps battery today and dropped it in my YETI. within the first 2 minutes I could hear the rear diff skipping. Looks like the pinion wasn't shimmed in far enough to handle the 3S, to the bay I go on a parts search.

I have ran several 2S through it with no problems at all, guess the 3S was just a little much.

I have the rear axle torn apart and it looks like I am missing one of the AXA1221 bearings on the pinion not sure how that happened as it was RTR. I have sent Axial an email and already ordered the parts off Ebay.

You forgot the #1 rule about RTR @griff7373: Always disassemble and check everything!

You forgot the #1 rule about RTR @griff7373: Always disassemble and check everything!

I know but I was like a kid on Christmas Morning with it, between me and my 5 year old it didn't stand a chance on the original tear down. I will be tearing it down now to see what else is missing or not put together exactly right.

I emailed Axial on Saturday and hadn't heard back so I gave them a call and wow what great service when you call in. I generally avoid the whole warranty issue on RC due to the nature of it but I am glad I called. I got new parts coming my way under warranty along with the parts I had already bought to replace the damaged ones.

Excellent customer service. :thumbs-up:

I got the diff done today, I had ordered some bearings off of EBAY and I had a spare bevel set that I had bought for the EXO I got from Buzzard a few months ago. I realized during the hunt for a new set while waiting on Axial that they where interchangeable. I put the 3S in it and ran one pack through with now problems outside of the nice traction rolls it likes to do.

Does your rear driveshaft get hot? Specifically the joint where the pinion meets the driveshaft.

Oh yeah I commented in your thread about it, haven't done much as far as figuring out how to stop it. May want to look at a dry lube on them, need to hit an auto parts shop and look. I do have some graphite spray for my gokart may try that on them.

I am going to use some bike chain oil tomorrow. Were your diff's greased?

Yes the ring and pinion where. The rear had the locker in it, I should have investigated the front but haven't yet I have put 6 3S packs on it since fixing the rear diff and so far so good outside of the shafts getting hot. The other thing I have noticed is the rear sway bar seems to hang on the cage when pushing it down while at a standstill it breaks free while running it. Still enjoying the heck out of it I may thicken up the shock oil next and look into some heavier springs, I just run them around in my yard no tracks really close to me.

The bike chain lube should work I may have a bottle around here somewhere from when I used to ride all the time.

Back