Best motor/esc for slash 4x4 basher

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshman1204

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am putting together a parts list for a slash 4x4 build that I am planning for early next year. I will be using the new LCG edition as a roller and need some input on electronics. I was looking at the 4-pole tekin motors but not sure what esc to use or what kv would work best in the slash.

My main goal is that it have tons of torque and be able to outrun my brothers slash running the mamba monster max SCT motor/esc combo.

The Stock Velinum Motor is a 3500Kv but will handle both 2s and 3S LiPo battery packs. Stock motor with a 2s 7.4 Volt Lipo pack is 35 MPH and with the 11.1 Volt 3s it is 40 Mph this comes from the Slash 4x4 manual.

When evaluating Tekin Brushless Motors they use the old Brushed motor system still which used a Turn Rate. The lower the Turn Rate the more RPMs the motor produced. Turn ratings on older motors were how many winds were on the armature and also the thickness of the wire. So a 10T motor will turn more RPMs then a 15T motor.

I still get confused on the Brushless Motors but from what I have read the Higher the Kv the more RPMs the Motor will turn on the 540 Motors.

1/8 Scale still throw me off because the Kv is lower but the motors are much larger.

Then we start to look at LiPo Battery Packs the 2s are 7.4 Volts and the 3s are 11.1 Volts more voltage also means more torque and speed.

Last edited:
As long as he isnt running the 2400kv on 4S the 3800kv will be faster.

The 2400kv motor I believe will take up to a 4S lipo he would of course have to have an ESC like the MMP or something comparable to run 4S as the sidewinder will only handle 3S max.

As for the combo you linked it will work but the MMP on a 3800kv isnt really necessary unless you start putting some really big pinions on it at which point the amp load can get to high and the sidewinder ESC will start to stutter. you have to use a gearing combo that will over heat your motor in a hurry though before it gets to that point. The 3800kv can only handle a 3S max so unless you just want a higher quality esc its up to you. If you do use a sidewinder make sure you get one of the new ones that has the built in fan and use an external BEC. will help keep the sidewinder running cooler.

Last edited:
The Slash 4x4 stock will do 50 MPH with a 3s battery pack. It also comes with an optional pinion gear that I personally cannot use the optional pinion gear because the truck is already hard to handle on the track I run at with the stock gearing and the 35 to 40 MPH the truck already does.

The truck's stock drive train is only meant to handle the stock gearing on dirt and changing it to faster motors and gearing may damage the drivetrain unless your running on pavement. This also comes from the traxxas manuals.

Just thought I would throw out there since you may have not bought the truck yet and looking for upgrades. I always suggest you read all the manuals before running any R/C.

http://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/5807Lslashvxl

Last edited:
Nah the truck will barely even be a traxxas product, it will be build from the ground up to handle insane abuse! I think the only traxxas part I am planning on using is the chassis and I am not even sure I am going to use the stock chassis.

Sounds like an interesting build and cost about a grand to put together ;) Post pictures when your done.

I was figuring somewhere around $1000-$1200 to get it fully built. I think that is about what it costs to build a solid basher no matter what platform you go with.

Hey dude, I have a old style high c.o.g. slash 4x4 with a castle mamba monster 2200 kv setup motor and KingHeadz motor mount,M.I.P. extra heavy duty axles,RPM arms,PROLINE shocks and a 22/50 gearing. Top end is well over 80 m.p.h. on 6s. If you build, it like that youll love it. I built mine from scratch one part at the time. I can't put into words how awesome it was to break seventy miles an hour the first time.

---------- Post added at 2:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 1:54 AM ----------

The castle monster 2200kv or 2650kv will SMOKE!!! the castle max or sidewinder or basically anything else as long as you have enough distance to get up to speed. On 1/10 scale track the power would probably never be utilized, but with a smooth surface and distance that setup is incredible.

---------- Post added at 2:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 2:01 AM ----------

Oh y eah, just to throw it out there, the velineon on 3s with 19/54 gearing will burn that motor up quick as a flash even with the cooling fan. Manual says run that setup with very little stopping and starting and geez they mean it. I ran a RTR Slash setup like that on an 1/8 mile pavement for 20min one time and fried my velineon 3500 motor. The higher gear ratios will fry the velis fairly quick on 3s of you're not careful.

The Slash 4x4 stock will do 50 MPH with a 3s battery pack. It also comes with an optional pinion gear that I personally cannot use the optional pinion gear because the truck is already hard to handle on the track I run at with the stock gearing and the 35 to 40 MPH the truck already does.

The truck's stock drive train is only meant to handle the stock gearing on dirt and changing it to faster motors and gearing may damage the drivetrain unless your running on pavement. This also comes from the traxxas manuals.

Just thought I would throw out there since you may have not bought the truck yet and looking for upgrades. I always suggest you read all the manuals before running any R/C.

http://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/5807Lslashvxl

Thats not entirely accurate, i ran A Lot of different motor setups in my slash last year racing, and with the exception of a few axles, i had to change nothing in my drivetrain, i ran a 2400 kv mmp system all the way up to a 4600kv 550 can motor, you can't always believe what the manual states.

Well went camping for a week with my brother and we took all of our kits and beat the crap out of them. I ran about 10 packs through his heavily modded slash and I just can't get into building one now. Dont get me wrong it was a ton of fun but after running my savage Xl and other 1/8 scale trucks the slash just wasn't as much fun for bashing. I just can't get over how small the slash is when compared to everything else I own and for the kind of bashing we do it just didnt feel right.

Does anyone make a good 1/8 short course truck? I may just have to go back to my original plan and build a savage flux.

Associated has the SC8e, I don't know anyone with one though. I want the nitro version, but they no longer make them.

Go with the Flux. not to many 1/8scale SCTs floating around. There are a couple of 1/5 scales though.

Yeah I saw the 1/5 super 5sc flux. Looks like it basically a 1/5 savage with sct tires and a center diff on it.

I may start with that just cause it looks like it has some super beefy parts.

Go with the Baja 5SC. Gassers like it run around 40 minutes or so on a tank of fuel and they use unleaded and 2-cycle oil so it's cheap.