Been modding a Tablet for Freeflight 3 and Parrot Bebop.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niteman1969

RC Newbie
Reaction score
A friend and myself decided to mod a wikipad 7 for more wifi range... video below.

The Wikipad 7 comes with a controller which the tablet slips into and gives you full analogue controls
without having to map anything, Freeflight 3 App works with the pad natively.

definitely a fun mod to do, when your missus doesn't ring in the middle of the work and you burn yourself on the soldering iron that is!!!!

Flight control is excellent, without need to map controls for this bird when using the parrot app.

The bebop is almost too polite to fly!!

@Niteman1969 are you adding a better wifi adapter to the tablet or just adding the external antenna? I've not seen the Wikipad before but it certainly looks like a pretty neat setup.

The best part of this mod is the ability to use an extension ariel.

So, if you are "out in the field" and it is too cold for you, simply pop the extension antenna on, pop the base on the roof of your car/van/truck, close the door and keep flying!!

With the pad in the controller there is no need to touch the screen at all...

The controller is the means of flight control, the screen merely acts as an FPV monitor, even if it does suffer a millisecond or two of lag on the bebop.

As for the controller unit, there are a few upcoming mods, one of which has met completion, whilst others are still being looked at based on complexity of installation and use of space inside the controller housing.

The great thing is that Freeflight 3 recognises the controller natively so the onscreen joypads disappear and the A button does takeoff and landing, the x button takes stills and the b button double tapped does the rolls. The left analogue controls elevation and rotation, whilst the right anologue controls pitch and yaw.

All without button mapping and is very responsive as it is connected directly to the micro usb of the tablet.

Unlike the Bluetooth gamepads that can hold a tablet which introduce controller lag.

At £50 per complete tablet with controller dock on ebay and this mod which cost us nothing
other than stripping one of my old wireless routers of aerials and sma connectors we are hoping
for a much increased range over the phones and such, at a much improved price over the skycontroller.

I am in no way suggesting we will get that sort of range, but I would not want to fly it out of my sight
anyway.

Hopefully we will be doing some more flight testing and more importantly range testing in the morning....

Last edited:
Looks far too windy today in London for any flight testing

Phew.... Thought for a while there that I would be pulling a day shift. Us vampires hate that! Lol

BTW, the X4 is charged, so get the camcorder ready ;)

Also, I had a look at a couple of additional controller mods over what we have so far discussed. We, ideally, need to discuss the implementation and viability before moving forwards with them, though the button mod worked out' so these mother mods should work out if all goes according to plan.......

Last edited:
Good one Rolex!!

Was waiting for that comment...Hehe

Hi

After seeing your video I ordered a Wikipad as it seems a great idea! The first one I got was duff but yesterday got the replacement.
Did you change any settings at all? When I connect to the bebop with Freeflight 3, I still get the on-screen sticks and all the sticks on the wikipad do is move the focus on the onscreen buttons :(

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ross.

FF3 should recognise that the controller is connected and therefore, flight control should be by left and right analog sticks as well as A X B buttons (need to check those for conformation though).

No need to map the controls. Just ensure the tablet is in the controller BEFORE starting FF3 and all should be well.

BTW, is the tablet running the latest available android version it can install??

Updated to latest available version of android and all good!

Much better flying with sticks rather than on-screen. Plus wikipad can be dedicated to the bebop rather then messing with wifi settings every time.

Great for £49.98 inc delivery!

I'm going to see how the range goes and possibly get a TP Link extender next.

Small tip for you.

Ramp up the tablet brightness to maximum, then ramp it up a bit in FF3 to see whats going on, on the tablet screen. It's a pig to see in bright daylight otherwise, even with a screen hood.

Mind, the micro delay in FPV transmission is enough not to fly by it for me, I prefer LOS flight myself, using the FPV only to check which direction the 'Bop is facing.

Try to stick to 2.4ghz for better range too!

LOS = Line Of Sight

Small tip for you.

Ramp up the tablet brightness to maximum, then ramp it up a bit in FF3 to see whats going on, on the tablet screen. It's a pig to see in bright daylight otherwise, even with a screen hood.

Mind, the micro delay in FPV transmission is enough not to fly by it for me, I prefer LOS flight myself, using the FPV only to check which direction the 'Bop is facing.

Try to stick to 2.4ghz for better range too!

LOS = Line Of Sight
Hi,
Just one question without the antenna mod which range do you get?
Thanks

Is there any chance to map the camera virtual gimbal manipulation, that is still performed on touch screen, to the gamepad buttons, for example L1/L2/R1/R2 ?
Where/how are all these controls mapping performed or stored in FF3 ?

Back