Ball Joint Press Tool

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webbage

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I am using this to assemble a AX-10 crawler but I figure a lot of R/Cs use pressed-in ball joints somewhere, so I thought you might all find tis one handy :)

I started on my AX-10 tonight but I hit a snag. While doing the Axle top mounts I discovered the ball joints are a PIG to fit. I tried pliers, a vice and leaning on them as heavily as I dared but nothing worked. I sat back in my chair and had a thunk and came up with a simple but effective solution:

You will need:

2741970071_6ea7b79d17.jpg

1x M3 Bolt
Don't use one from the kit or one you need or care about, as there is a possibility the threads will get damaged.
1x M3 Nut
As with the bolt, don't use one from the kit or one you need or care about, as there is a possibility the threads will get damaged.
1x Large M3 flat washer
This should be big enough to cover the end of the sleeve (below) completely
1x Sleeve
Plastic is better as it won't mark the plastic part you are pressing into, ID needs to be 5mm at least, OD needs to be 8mm or less. It's got ot be strong too, so it won't crumple under pressure. I had a nice meaty piece in my spares drawer from my brother's old Tamiya spares that was perfect.

2741969805_00bccba826.jpg

I was doing flanged ball joints, so I put the screw through from the flanged side. Axial's instructions show the balls should be pressed in from this direction. If you are using non-flanged balls you might be as well using a normal M3 washer on the opposite side to the sleeve.

2742806836_85c3824f24.jpg

Thread the screw through the ball, then the eye. Slide the sleeve on the other side, then the washer, then spin the M3 nut on. Do the nut up finger tight, then position the sleeve so the whole press is straight on the eye you are pressing into.

2742806648_8cc0bf48f3.jpg

With a good screwdriver on one side (that won't slip) and a nut wrench on the other, gently start to tighten the press up.

2741969159_971b93293f.jpg

It will go very tight, then there will be a jump and it'll go loose. HOPEFULLY the ball will have popped into the eye. If it hasn't and the press has gone slack, then you may have stripped a thread on the nut or bolt. I stripped out one nut doing the axle top links on my AX-10, those buggers were a tight fit!

2741968969_af6f81cf2e.jpg

It worked so well I did all my link ends with it too :)

Hope that was useful to some of you. Certainly saved me a lot of swearing and skinned knuckles once I figured it out!

Way to think outside the box!

Thanks for the how-to.

It's definitely a time saver and massively reduces the chances of you damaging the parts. I dunno if it counts as thinking outside the box really, it's a fairly routine idea if you press in or pull out suspension bushes on a 1:1 vehicle. I just need to work out a way of doing it the other way so I can press them out again :p

Back