axial wraith build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockcrusher

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
hi there this to to anyone that could help with decisions I'm putting a list together for a build was wondering if anyone could tell me if this will all work together.

RC4Z-R0006 transmitter+reciever
AX90020 wraith kit
CSEM0115 esc sv3 sidewinder
AX24007 axial am55 540 55t motor
HRC37954s hitec rcdhs-7954sh servo

wanna add a winch/lights and selectable transmission eventually just seeing if my homework is correct thank you.

I dont know much about the wraith but a 55t will be pretty slow. id start with something like a 45t or even 35t, especially if you runnin 3 or 4s lipo.

Check out some of the other wraith builds here for some ideas too.

I'm probly gonna be running a 2s lipo its gonna be 90% rock crawler 10% racer 55 turn is more torque

I'm probly gonna be running a 2s lipo its gonna be 90% rock crawler 10% racer 55 turn is more torque

Not necessarily, all things being equal (i.e. all single slot armatures, same magnets, timing etc) then yes a 55t will have more tq than a 35t. But higher end brushed motors have a lot of different tuning options that means there are times a 13t motor will outperform a 35t motor in both tq and speed. Check out Holmes Hobbies, they make a beast brushed ESC and some very nice motors as well. I'm going with a 35t torque master pro and their BR-XL ESC that is 6s capable with an RC4WD AX2 two speed trans in my Wraith build. A 35T on the stock trans with the right gearing would be about right IMHO, as you'd still have wheel speed when you needed it, the 55t is too low, again IMO.

When I was running brushed on my SCX-10, I tried a 55t motor, but found it was really too slow on 2s. I changed to a 26t and it was about right.

you think a 35t would be better with stock trans eventually wanna get two gear trans I guess that would slow it down more

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

so besides motor r the other parts good

In a Castle ESC, I'd step up to the mamba monster pro. It's not much more money, and is a much better ESC and will offer you more options down the road. If you know you're going to stay brushed and only 2s power, you can pick up a Traxxas XL 5 on the cheap. It's already water proof, and will suit your needs fine.

IMHO I would go with a Mmp for an esc. I run one in my wraith and love it. But my setup is totally different than what your doing as I'm brushless. I can crawl with the best of them and have obscene wheel speed when needed. The Mmp will give more options than the sv2, plus I'm not a fan of the sv2as I'm a tekin guy! But the Mmp fits the bill for this application.

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

As for a motor look at Holmes Hobbies, there stuff is the shiz! I'm going to be running one of there setups in my 1.9 build next year. If you wanna stay brushed look at there esc's as well. That have quality stuff and smoother than any other product IMO.

With the stock gearing of the Wraith, running 2-3s with a 55t will put severe heat in the motor, I would go no higher than a 35t, especially with lipo.

As far as light kits, the Axial NVS light kit is what you want to make 100% of your rigs buckets light up +some.

hi there this to to anyone that could help with decisions I'm putting a list together for a build was wondering if anyone could tell me if this will all work together.

RC4Z-R0006 transmitter+reciever
AX90020 wraith kit
CSEM0115 esc sv3 sidewinder
AX24007 axial am55 540 55t motor
HRC37954s hitec rcdhs-7954sh servo

wanna add a winch/lights and selectable transmission eventually just seeing if my homework is correct thank you.

Hey guys sorry I haven't been on been very busy. Any ways I changed what I was going to get I now have.7

Mamba max pro
Tekin gen2 21.5t sensored brushless
Savox 1728? (It's big)
Ax2 trans
Heyok tlc controller
Rc4wd 9300 wireless winch
Hi-tech 638? Servo for shifting
Rc4z transmitter receiver combo

There's other small stuff just can't remember right now.
I'm now having issues with the motor and hi-tech servo, the motor clicks when just sitting there quietly dosent move nothing just quietly clicks.
And my gear shifting servo shifts when I turn the front tires?????????:angry:

That Tekin is a really good b/l motor. I would get the Castle Mamba Max Pro v3 to go with it as it can do sensored/sensorless operation and is waterproof.

It sounds like you might have a brush dragging/blocking the armature.

The MMP also does both brushed and brushless as well, it just isn't waterproof out of the box. Also, you can't have a brush dragging if you're running a brushless motor. Make sure your sensor cable is seated all the way on both ends, that could be it. What RX channel is your shift servo hooked up to?

I confused the MMP with the Mamba Monster v3. My mistake.

I'm in the planning/dreaming stage of a Axial scx10 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, I'm wondering whats the advantages of running a brushless set up compared to a brushed and vice versa.
Other then the obvious less maintence part?

Once I get the Savage Flux where I want it this going to be my next build.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Less maintenance
More efficient
Generally will run cooler
More power on a given cell count

BUT, most brushless setups that will work well for crawling (sensored setups) are not waterproof from the factory. You can do it yourself, but your warranty is voided immediately.

Got a 21.5t sensored setup in which the warranty was up a little while ago. That cuts a good chunk out of the cost, now all need is the kit, a servo, and receiver lol. Let the saving and selling begin!

Hey guys sorry I haven't been on been very busy. Any ways I changed what I was going to get I now have.7

Mamba max pro
Tekin gen2 21.5t sensored brushless
Savox 1728? (It's big)
Ax2 trans
Heyok tlc controller
Rc4wd 9300 wireless winch
Hi-tech 638? Servo for shifting
Rc4z transmitter receiver combo

There's other small stuff just can't remember right now.
I'm now having issues with the motor and hi-tech servo, the motor clicks when just sitting there quietly dosent move nothing just quietly clicks.
And my gear shifting servo shifts when I turn the front tires?????????:angry:

Wasent motor noise it was my shifting servo almost got it gone little more tweaking on the epa module to do and the servo shifting by its self was the mmp bec not good for two servos put in a cc bec problem gone.

And brushless vs brushed depends on what you want this thing do waterproof,speed,crawling, bashing, all make your decision for you. Brushed usually less speed better crawl and easier to waterproof then brushless but really depends on your setup esc, motor, battery, combination.

still can't seem to get that clicking chatter noise out of the hi-tech servo for shifting gears everything works good shifts smooth even when not turning the motor usually shifts into the gear but seems like no matter what I do its got the power twitch. [that's what I'm gonna call it]. its the same noise when I adjust the epa module slowly. dosent seem to move anything I'm just worried about it burning up my servo. any help would be much appre.

Last edited:
I use a 21.5 turn sensored Novack Goat in my Losi Mini Rock Crawler. Great wheel speed on 2s and no cogging.

I've fixed everything servo twitch was my rc4wd epa module not satisfied with that purchase, put two small strips of clear hose from the servo arm to the tranny shifts gears great and no twitch, finally after two slow months of building I got to test drive freaking love it.... ill post pics as soon as I figure out just how I'm gonna do that..

Back