Axial EXO Terra suggestions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griff7373

RCTalk Addict
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Most of you know I picked one up a little while ago, thank you buzzard. I have found the bent rod ends that where suggested on Ebay and am looking around at a few other things.
First this is my first electric I have owned since 1996 which was the gold chassis Team Associated 10B, can someone please explain to me how the brush less stuff works? I am not sure of what KV translates to and how to make it work with Lipo batteries and the ESC.
I am actually just leaning towards locating a stock motor and ESC and going from there so any suggestions would be helpful.
Secondly what is a decent steering servo for this, I will mostly just be playing with it in the yard no major abuse for awhile.

You'll want something with a lower kV rating, I run a 3200 kV on my Twin Hammers which is a similar rig with 1.9 wheels instead of 2.2s like the Exo-Terra. You'll also want to run the 2s LiPos on that ESC. I've smoked one using 3s and ended up going with the Mamba Max Pro instead.

FYI-lower kV=more torque.

That servo should be fine.

The lower the kV, the higher the torque. The higher the kV, the faster the motor will go and the less voltage the motor will handle.

Thank you for the explanation from looking around they came with a 2900KV motor so I will go as close to it as I can. Wanting to get it ready of all my RCs this is one is probably the closest I have to getting running and spring is here.

If it will fit the 1/8 sidewinder is a lot better than people think, It was a monster on 4 and 6s in a 4x4Slash!

I looked at the sidewinder I just didn't want to spend the extra on it, being kind of cheap today.

this going electric stuff is adding up quickly LOL of course my chargers don't do LIPOs well my old Ice will but it came out about the same time LIPOs where just starting to get popular.

You need a brushless setup, servo, charger, and batteries correct? A max price range would be very helpful. I have several of the servos you linked, I had one fluke accident with one and the other two have been great. The one that broke a gear was an easy fix, I turned a gear 180 degrees and have been using it ever since, I would buy them again for a basher. With an off road 4x4 you're going to want a robust esc if you want to run 3s or higher and gearing will be critical.

The only off-road scale vehicle that I run more than 2sin is my SCX-10/JK and that has a 2-speed and is geared down.

I really haven't thought of a price range, I will probably stick with 2S since I am more or less just getting into this, I am leaning towards the last brushless set up I linked to. If you are looking to get rid of a few things shoot me a PM and let me know what you have and would be willing to part with along with some pricing and we can go from there.

Thank you

Looks good may have to research it some I like that it comes with the programmer.

I am almost done with my purchase I am now awaiting my parts to arrive, I went with the last link I posted for the motor along with the servo and bent ball ends. I also ordered a spare diff, now all that is left is the LIPOs and the charger. I will probably need to wait a week or two for them.

Back