Axial AX-10 and XR-10 questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I know the AX-10 Scorpion is discontinued but if you find a decent used one are they worth still picking up? I know the AX-10 had some issues that required some hop ups right off the bat but other than that are they still worth getting? Still have good part and aftermarket support?

The XR-10 looks nice too and its still being made. How good are they, do they have good aftermarket support for that model?

Anything in particular that I should know about either of these kits?

I had, and still have my AX10, mine was the first one, the kit. I know the rtr had more issues, like plastic links, and other cheap parts. I have driven the hell out of my AX10 kit version and had no real problems to mention.

Didnt you already sell a comp rig? The xr10 is just another comp rig with less stuff than that bully had. Most of the bully bods had to be home done but it would out perform a stock xr10 pretty easily.
I thought the XR10's had been discontinued from production though? As far as after market stuff, if you have the money, they have or atleast had a huge following. Check out some builds,

Mine https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/slowngreens-2011-comper.82938/

Robs https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/xr10-my-chris-craft-project.82932/

Curtis https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/abadk9420s-xr10-sng-hc-comp-crawler.87783/

The ax10 is obviously a great rig, needs lots of little hop ups to make it do very well but I would assume there are still places you can find upgrades for them. What are you wanting to do with one? The ax10 will not hold a candle to the xr10 in any kind of crawling in my opinion but the xr10 takes a good amount of money to get going properly.
I've seen so many guys get a comp crawler only to get bored quickly since they dont have any comps around so they try to sell them and take a huge money loss. Maybe you should try to get into a scaler instead? With them, you can always be adding little personal touches to make it more scale, dont have to be driving them to have fun.

Yeah I sold the bully. I felt like I was in over my head with that one cuz I didnt know a thing about crawlers (I wasn't sure how to even complete the build fully) and figured maybe a RTR would give me a better experience and allow me to learn with it first. Plus I have a feeling Id have had a hard time getting replacement parts and stuff for the bully cuz that was one of the things the guy that bought my crawler was saying about it and that guy is from this website so I'm inclined to believe he was having a bit of a hard time. All that being said I did think about going with something like a Wraith instead cuz theres no crawler comps around me. I've looked at stuff like the SCX10 but those just dont do a thing for me. IDK maybe Id be surprised if I actually ran one but the building scale stuff isnt something that interests me in the least.

btw are you guys talking about the AX-10 or the AX10 cuz it sounds like your talking about the AX-10 but your typing AX10 which looks to be a different kit.

As for teh XR-10. It seems to still be in production cuz its still listed on their website under products and it doesn't have the green "legacy - discontinued" label on it like the AX-10 does.

I have an AX-10 based 2.2 comp rig and it's very capable and you can still get tons of upgrades and parts for it. But, I just don't get into it that much. The rare once or twice a year that I hang out with friends that are into pure crawling it's fun, otherwise it just sits on a shelf. But, that's just my opinion. Even scalers aren't that fun to me unless I'm running with other people. Then again, a big part of it is probably that I need to drive somewhere to really challenge any of those types of rigs whereas my go fast stuff is plenty of fun without leaving home. My Wraith build is sort of a melding of all of them, part scaler, part crawler, part go fast rig.

Yeah, see I think I might enjoy a wraith more than a full blown crawler. Just not sure which way to jump. Although I'm not looking to jump anyway right now...I'm just thinking about down the road stuff.

The Wraith kind of replaced the AX-10 imo. It can crawl but can also run the trails and looks more scale.

The more I look at the wraith the more I'm leaning that way. Not to mention there is TONS of aftermarket parts support! I like hoping up my kits more than I like playing with them lol

Again, there's tons of aftermarket for both of them, you just have to know where to look. And mods for both range from super cheap, even free, to the silly end of the price scale. My Wraith is very capable on the rocks, but my AX will clean lines the Wraith can't even get started up, any day, anywhere. They're just two completely different rigs, with different purpose built goals in mind. If I could only keep one RC from my collection, the Wraith would be towards the top of the list.

yeah, I dont think I want a pure crawler. I think I want kinda more of a trail truck (or maybe even a bit faster) that can crawl a bit. From what I've seen of the wraith I think will be perfect for that.

So I know the AX-10 Scorpion is discontinued but if you find a decent used one are they worth still picking up? I know the AX-10 had some issues that required some hop ups right off the bat but other than that are they still worth getting? Still have good part and aftermarket support?

The XR-10 looks nice too and its still being made. How good are they, do they have good aftermarket support for that model?

Anything in particular that I should know about either of these kits?
The AX10 I think is still a good kit,got one when they were first released. There are up grades for every part from multiple companies,just search the web. You will find what you are looking for. A pic of my ax-10

Attachments

• 20150423_093012.jpg
    20150423_093012.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 262
I'm confused, the ax10 is still for sale on tower hobbies website.

Seems to me that the only that changes from the ax10s is the name after. Looks like same family of chassis, different body

Back