Anybody ever lose their passion for R/C?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savage24x

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
It happened to me a couple years ago, and now I feel like it's happening again. Every time I go to run my T-Maxx, I can't get it tuned and I hang the TX back up for a week or two. My Hyper 7 is in pieces, and it's been like that for so long since I don't have $40 for the clutch bell that I don't remember how to put it back together. I have a 1/16 exceed I bought for $20, it's engine runs, but I always forget what parts it needs. My Bandit can't turn on the track, ever. I never feel like $10 is worth it for two skinny tires, so I put that money into my quad or truck audio system.

I used to be on the workbench for hours every day trying to fix stuff. I even got to the point where I was driving much more than fixing, which is where I'm at now, and when it comes time to fix something, I don't feel like tearing down the vehicle again, I probably did it last week! It gets annoying. I found some local racers, but they don't like nitro or bigger 1/8 trucks, so my trf801xt is still sitting there with no power system and no servos. I don't know where all of my R/C energy went.

It happens in any hobby really.

I'm still "into" the hobby, I'm here everyday and still have rc's but havent done anything with it in a couple years really. I assume I'll get back into it some time, probably a heli or maybe a scaler build. Taking a break is a good thing I think.

Yeah. For me it comes and goes. Right now, I'm on a bit of an RC high. I enjoy it now. I have to take breaks from anything I do from time to time. But now mainly due to the quality of what's available being so much better and run times getting longer especially for electric's, really helps keep me RC'ing.

Back when I really started in real RC stuff, I did start with electrics. Tamiya kits were all the rage. But for me, things like mechanical speed controllers and NiCad batteries just took all the potential fun out of it. And in my area, there was nitro, but that was quite expensive to get started in and the very few and far between LHS's never had any of them in stock...always took weeks to get etc. But the batteries of the day were expensive in 1986. You could easily drop a $100 on a single NiCad pack that at best would give you a 5 minute run time. Then it took all night to recharge. It was those short run times that really had me in and out for a long time.

Taking a break can be a good thing, everybody gets burned out sooner or later.
Mine sat for almost 3 years, I couldn't bring myself to sell them, I'm really glad I didn't as the buy-in now is more then I would want to lay down all at once.
I shutter to think of the cash spent in trucks, tires, parts, tools, ect. that I've bought over the years.

If your frustration level is high, do a storage care on them and go do something else for a while.

When your ready you can always break them out again.

I too am sorta experiencing a stall. I thought I could curb it with new toys, so I found myself a pair of bajas. Well it's either a stall or I just don't wanna service any of my rigs at the moment.

I took a long break myself. I think when I started racing in 3 classes it became more work than fun. I'm currently doing a "one RC at a time" thing. I got them all running again and set up my shelf and work bench, organized all the parts boxes and tools,
when I want to run something I will take one out, and the support equip for that one rig to run for a while, this keeps me focused on making that one rig run at its peak. part of the hobby I like is the tuning (more suspension than Engine type stuff) and then do the cleaning and put it away. next time I run one I do it the same. take ONE out. it gets overwhelming when You want to take 3 out the track or bash and then you have 3 times the cleanup after. When you break one rig you tend to just put it away and grab the next one if you have it ready. then the broken one sits and you loose interest.
at least that's how I see for me.

I love rc. I really, really do. It's just tough to drop the cash to keep them running. I could never sell them. I want to work on them. I find myself walking to the compute or to the atv to work on instead. There's no one in the area that shares the same interest and likes big nitro. It's all small electric, which I sold my MERV a long time ago.

I've actually been going through that for a while now myself. The Wraith needs worked on, has for months, can't bring myself to tear it apart again as everything is really buried in those suckers, plus all my wiring to deal with. We have a new track here this year, I haven't been out there once with the race truck this season. I flew a couple packs through a heli a couple weeks ago for a bud that's getting into helis, that's the most RC I've done since about February.

I'm getting there, even after getting the new engine in the LST, I'm just blah when it comes to them. I think my main thing is the fact that I have no "RC space", I had my garage and workbench when I was stateside, here I have my stuff in a closet. I have to try to work on them without the kids getting into the parts and the main place I have is the dining room table and that never ends well. Pair the lack on wrenching space with the fact that I have to wait for parts to be shipped from the states and it really kills the mood. I've had parts get to me in under a week while others have taken over a month.

I think we all go through dry spells. I used to run DAILY on a great track with banked curves. Shortly after I moved there were no tracks anywhere near me and even that one closed.
My new apartment does not afford me the work room I was used to so it's too much trouble to keep clearing areas to build. I've been on a hiatus from ALL things RC for over a year now, but the itch is starting to get to me.
Nothing wrong with taking a break now and then, since I still have this forum to keep the fires lit.

Finishing the ChrisCraft, Rolex?

Seriously though, I go through phases of not running or repairing RCs as well.

Nothing wrong with taking a break now and then, since I still have this forum to keep the fires lit.

What do you use the fires for, preheating you wax?

I figured that you inherited Eddy's project since he's so busy selling bearings and the like, Rolex.

I always am losing my passion for RC, Especially with nitro. If I can't get it tuned right I dont break anything, but if I do I seem to break something everytime and get discouraged to fix it. On the other hand I am a scale truck guru and the speeds are forgiving on crashes and rarely break parts, so when I am feeling down I go scale crawling and it'll pick up my passion for the hobby. Balances between differant varieties of rigs are important to maintain passion.

I'm going through a down time in my passion as well. I have a brand new Losi 8ight T 3.0 that is sitting on my work bench all laid out and ready to build... but I just haven't gotten any farther than that. My problem is time really. With 2 small kids and the work that goes with them.... I have a house and a yard that need constant maintenance this time of year and a RC track in the back yard that is being repaired from water damage and weeds more than it is used... I just don't seemed motivated to get down there and get this kit built. I recently went on a purge and sold a bunch of RC stuff that was just collecting dust with the purpose of re-using that money for another RC project... well, that money is still sitting in my paypal account because I don't want to spend it right now. I used to blow through cash faster than I could make it. Now, I really question myself, do I really need this? I also have other hobbies, that I am interested in and I don't have money to do both. So right now RC has taken a bit of a back burner. Also lately I have talked myself out of taking a rig out, because I don't feel like cleaning it up afterwards. Its just a phase... something will spark my interest again and I will jump in head first again. Its an ebb an flow I guess.

Tom

my mom has alzheimer's i have been taking care of her for 6 mo. and my family is NOT helping me. i have not ran a RC in 1 year. i am hoping when i can get her in to a care home ill get back to burning nitro.

If you havent personally dealt with someone with Alzheimers/dementia, you can begin to understand how horrible it is. I was with my great uncle for nearly two years every day while he had it. Extremely hard to deal with, dont envy you at all @moe7404.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back