Another help me decide thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wacmartin

DAMN TREES
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Okay so I sold my Losi Aftershock Le and now I'm in the process of deciding what I should get next. I think I've narrowed it down to a HPI Savage X, HPI Savage flux, Traxxas emaxx, Traxxas Stampede. I'll give my pros and cons for each truck, if you guys have any other suggestions let me know please.

Savage X: everything I've heard about it has been good, no real negatives here and I don't really want to leave nitro completely. On the other hand I don't really have the time for nitro even less time then what I had before with my new job.

Savage flux: same as above, it's a savage so it's tough? And it's electric which is a pro and a con to me. It's expensive, $659 for the truck I'm looking at about $200 for batteries (going to want 2 sets) so with taxes I'm looking at just under $1000. I can't afford that right now so another con I'd have to wait about a month. Also I've heard the esc and motor are not the greatest on these, or was that just the xs?

Emaxx: from what I've heard not as tough out of the box as a savage, that's my only gripe with it. Hope ups galore, my closest lhs (not the one I prefer to shop at) pretty much only carries traxxas and has plenty for the maxx series trucks and I like that it has a Mamba monster. Once again price looking at $1000.

Stampede: my only con here is size, I was wanting something bigger like
1/8 scale. I already have a few lipos that could work with this and I can get it for $550 with a lipo. Also I only have a single charger so this would suit my needs without having to upgrade my charger as well.

Let me know what you guys think and spill out some other suggestions, I really don't want another buggy though I want something with good ground clearance. Oh and let me know of any experience you've had with any of our these.

Last edited:
Pricey on the flux and emaxx/brushless yes, both the flux would be worth it imo. Once that initial cost is gone then your set.

Is this for bashing only? Personally, I LOVE 1/8 Ebuggy's for bashing, they can take a beating, can put down some serious performance and also be super precise and controllable for and racing you wanna do. You could get into a bad ass 1/8 brushless and able to do 6s for a few hundred less than that savage flux.

I like you, you're funny you'd probably be one of those AWESOME OLD guys to get drunk with. As long as you keep your pants on!

Yes it's for bashing, I already have a Bandit VXL I do enjoy it seems to only break when it should I.E.
Hitting a curb, cement light post, basketball net pole at full speed. I have a huge grass field in front of my house and it belongs to the city so it rarely gets mowed the aftershock was great in it the Bandit not so much, so I'm worried about ground clearance as that's my main bash spot to take stress reliever after work rip. What kind of 1/8 ebuggy where you thinking.

Last edited:
The VE8 was the last buggy I had, bought it as a roller from Robmob, dropped a couple hundred in electronics and ran it on 5s, was MEAN! Very durable rig too.

VE8 roller.

That's looks nice, I really like the features especially mechanical braking on a electric. But I don't think that buggy will handle 3-4" grass without overloading the motor?

Probably not, though a 1/8 truggy might cope a little better.

I've had all except the stampede. The flux HP is the best bang for the buck as far as what uve listed . Its driveline is all heavy duty steel and is less money than the emaxx brushless. Basically, you can't upgrade the drive train at all, its got every option part from the factory. With the right lipos 2 standing back flips are no problem and it will run well over 55 without doing anything to it.

Well I'm leaning towards the savage flux, I do have 2 30c 5000mah 2s lipos I could use for the time being from my vta car.
Does the savage flux come with 17 mm wheel hexes? I'm reading about it and it seems that it doesn't have "true" 17mm hexes. Hwat does that mean?

Last edited:
I think it uses 17mm. I can't remember but I think it gives u 14 and 17 when you buy it. You can't go wrong with that truck.

Yup I bought it, it has the 17mm on it and it come with 14mm as well.

Good luck with it. You are more than likely going to have hell with the wheel nuts and will need to install a set of decent hex adapters on it. I would suggest installing a set of XL TVP's and the XL stub axles then you can fit a proper set of hex adapters on it.

Also if your going to run 6s you will need the HD drive gear for the tranny as the stock one will self destruct very quickly. Also grab a set of integy rear knuckles as the stock plastic ones will break if you look at them the wrong way.

Other than that you can beat the piss out of it and it will keep coming back for more.

Its a great truck, you'll love it. I never had any issues with the wheel nuts. I did strip a hex out of a wheel after a long time. That gear Joshman is talking about I had to replace at one point. It mainly gets torn up from braking and reverse from what I could tell. Other than those things the main issue is that the escs tend to catch on fire. I had one do it and so did frickenjoey. It was replaced by hpi so couldn't complain too much. I never broke any of the plastic parts on the truck and I did beat it up pretty good

Okay so what's wrong with the hexes on it and the wheel nuts? The wheel nuts do look different but I don't see why they won't work.

You guys are making me think I should have gone with the emaxx now.

The hex on the plastic wheel stripped from the power of it. No big issue there it happens. I didn't have any issues with the wheel nuts. Also like I said its a better deal since its cheaper and comes with an all metal drivetrain. The emaxx is all plastic

Well I get that it happens, but why is joshman saying "get a proper set of hex adapters on there". What makes the adapters on there not proper? Oh and I don't think I'll be putting any Integy on any of my cars ever!

Last edited:
The integy comment worried me too...lol just fix what u break and run the crap out of it. Its a great truck. Parts wear out its just the nature of the beast...and that truck is a beast

By proper I meant a adapter that uses a 17mm wheel nut and not the stupid little serrated nuts that the savage uses. I converted all of my savages over to ofna hexes and love it. I think the total cost to convert is about $10. As for the integy knuckles it is the only part from integy that I have on any of my rigs. Do some reading and you will see these are a decent product. You can get them from tcscrawlers and they also sell an upgraded hardware kit that really makes it a nice piece.

As for the gear if you run 6s it will strip! It doesn't wear out it simply explodes and almost everyone that has run 6s has had it happen.

I never ran anything but 6s. I guess I replaced the gear before that happened but the wear was definitely there. As far as aluminum id rather just run rpm stuff. To each his own tho, use whatever is working for you

Back