An issue with my Savage x ss brushless conversion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbnjzb

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I got a Mamba Monster 2 ESC and a Neu-Castle 1515 2200kv motor. I'm used the conversion kit from HPI to strap these bad boys in along with a little rigging. Everything looks good. Also, i'm using 2 Bias 3S 50c 5000mah lipos. I'm thinking this thing should rock!!!
1. It sounds like metal is grinding when i try to drive it like its the pinion and spur (although the mesh seems perfectly fine to me...i could be wrong.)
2. It barely moves along. I know it should be flyin!
If it at all matters I have Big Joe's on it, a 44 spur, and a 20 pinion.
I really want to get this thing out and movin so I'd appreciate any help you can give. Thanks so much!
DB!

Try switching the positive & negative leads, and reversing your throttle control on your transmitter.

Is your motor getting hot? How did you set your mesh?
Motor wasn't getting hot. I did just eyeball the mesh. Thank you.

Try switching the positive & negative leads, and reversing your throttle control on your transmitter.
This I will try, thank you. Although I think I might've done this already. I'm also going to check my solder connections because I'm assuming a bad solder connection wouldn't let much power go through, right?

1. It sounds like metal is grinding when i try to drive it like its the pinion and spur (although the mesh seems perfectly fine to me...i could be wrong.)
2. It barely moves along. I know it should be flyin!

DB!

I keep coming back to your #1 symptom the grinding sound, was this a new truck or one with some use on it that you converted over to brushless?

I keep coming back to your #1 symptom the grinding sound, was this a new truck or one with some use on it that you converted over to brushless?
It was my Savage X that I converted. I've inspected all the gears and all look good. Although, I did just notice the spur is slipping even when I move it by hand hmmmm...maybe I need a new slipper pad. Hmm

Change the slipper pad or tighten the slipper nut down some more, after that start checking your driveline including diffs.

I am going through the process of upgrading a Savage X to an XL Brushless with the castle creations mamba you listed - which motor mount did you use? Where did you mount the ESC? did you leave everything else stock Savage x? I bought a roller from ebay so I am planning to stretch it with the XL plates. How are the big joe wheels holding up. Would love to see some pictures of your setup?

Back