After 70 years of production, today is that last day a Land Rover Defender will be produced.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninnon

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Since these are illegal in the United States due to safety issues, you're probably not interested, but anyway, today is the last day the Land Rover Defender will be produced. The 2,016,933 rolled off the production lines at 9:15 AM this morning. Although you lot may have your massive 6.5 litre pickup trucks, nothing can come close to the reliability, repairability and usefulness of a Land Rover defender, although after 70 years they're struggling to meet EU safety regulations too and aren't worth producing, however are definitely worth having.

Just a few weeks ago someone paid a lot of money to have number 2 MILLION.
I think they actually kept that, and put it in the museum. The price of used has sky rocketed, even though there are thousands of them on the roads.

I have always liked the Defender. I believe that you can import them into Canada and the US when they are 25 years old.
There a few companies that completely refurbish old Landy's, see DEFENDERICON.COM
I believe I read that the Defender factory is now going to start refurbishing instead of building.
I watch a TV show once where they completely disassembled a 1950's or so Defender in a couple of hours with simple hand tools.
Iconic vehicle.

Ninnon,

This place sells used Landy's, it is in Oswestry. Stayed at the Premier Inn there, and had a roam around the yard.

http://www.hughes-bros.co.uk/

Of course, over here we have the Jeep to keep us going, but I believe the removable roof will be leaving us shortly (pun intended)

We also had the full size Jeep Wagoneer. This was also an iconic vehicle, relatively unchanged for 30 years or so. Ended in the '90's I think.