66FT no-prep drag racing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahr43

Hardcore RCTalk User
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Fleshing out runs on a 1/10 scale 1/8 mile RC drag strip. Full no-prep 2WD/RWD. No-prep surface and no-prep tires. 66Ft lane with 132ft shutdown.

First image is from start, staging (blue pipe), roll-in (red pipe) and 66ft coned course with 6ft speed trap. Timing is GNSS speed meter. No E.T. (Elapsed Time) - mph only. Second image looking back track from shut-down to start. Third image, the S/C #129 Senton.

Laid down 14 passes today with the 2WD Senton (Typhon body). Best pass 38mph at 98% THR. 2s x 5300 60C LiPo. That puts the car about 5mph off pace. It's a 43mph break out Super/Comp Class. No restrictions other than 2s -or- 3s battery power.

20240407_125253_resize.jpg

20240407_135636_resize.jpg

20240407_135158_resize.jpg

That's awesome! Cool setup. I'm guessing 43mph is scale 1/8 mile fast! Would that be equivalent say to 100mph+ 1/4 mile 1:1? I have off road & on-road RC's, I've been interested in 132ft racing.

Thanks, guys.

@332_RC. Glad you're interested in 132ft no-prep. johnnydmd's got a good link going with his ongoing nitro build. Check it out. 132ft is the RC standard. 43mph is just a speed to begin with. Figgered if acceleration remained linear, that'd be 86mph at 132ft. About what speed my electric top fuel car was running back in the day. Maybe some of the 132ft gang could check their timing slips for half-track (66ft) speeds to see how close 43mph is to what their turning? Stick around. More to come (hopefully).

@johnnydmd. Yeah, industrial site. Wide smooth road. No storm drains. Relatively little crown to the surface. Just enough to drain water. Quiet as a tomb on weekends. Got an even better site I've got to seek permission to run on. Both sites within 5 miles of home.

Cheers. -AC

Regarding the Senton 2WD. This is the baseline set-up. The dual sport street/strip set-up if you will. With baseline performance in hand, can begin mods to DragSpec.

Mostly playing with radio settings yesterday. Two calibration runs at 50% THR; two tuning runs at 75% THR; then began banging the throttle with 90-98% THR runs. Getting loss of traction wheelspin when the radio came off its -60 TH Expo setting. Switching over to -60 TH Speed instead of Expo made for a more linear power transfer and took out the wheelspin.

Geared 20/91//4.55. 55% RR weight bias. Thinking about moving the FR ballast to the RR until late in the runs. Switching to a fresh 7.4v 2s began carrying the front wheels about 6ft out in a slight power wheelie. Think for now, will leave the FR ballast in place. Already fit a set of JC Dotek RR tires. Got a long laundry list of mods to do. This is a start.

Regarding the speed trap at the end of the run. Previous to yesterday, was chopping the throttle as close to end of course as I could judge. Think I was getting some carry-on in speed and not getting accurate 66ft speeds. Chopping the throttle now at entering 6ft speed trap gives noticeably slower speed readings - about 2-3mph. ESC set at 10% drag brake. Thinking of going free-wheeling to get back at least 1-2mph in the speed trap. Using ABS braking so can probably do that without experiencing side skid when braking.

20240407_135239_resize.jpg

Last edited:
At the old local track. we used to have a carpet drag strip in the back. It was called "Strip 66" since it was 66ft. With about a 20ft braking zone / shut down. He used a Traxxas Drag tree and Traxxas app on his iPad. Drag racing wasn't really popular there. I did a couple runs on it with my race buggy. Did a little test. B74 vs a Bandit VXL. If I remember correctly. I got 32mph in about 2.3 seconds. (This was with my race buggy, 2s lipo, 13.5T motor and pretty conservative gearing, so top speed is pretty accurate for that) If I did my slash or rustler, I would probably hit 40ish mph. We tried to set up some drag racing there. Really didn't work out as it was April last year and the outdoor season was already started. I seen a few Losi Mini Drag cars and a few custom FWD drag cars. The whole project didn't last long as the place next door was moving their wall over more to get more space, but it didn't happen so we didn't put the track back up. :(

Looked like traction was good on 'Strip 66.' For shut down track back in the day used a safety catch net. Easier on the cars. Even with a 180ft shut down back in the day, electric top fuel and unlimited classes were using the safety net as final "brake."

[ Edit: On my 66ft course, shut down is coned-off at 132ft. Rules package stipulates competitors must slow the car and be under control to make the turn onto the return lane in that distance. At end of run terminal velocity of 43mph equates to ~63ft/sec. Doesn't take long to eat up that 132ft shut down. Makes the run more challenging. After all, it is "Radio Control" - both going and slowing. ]

Always thought Bandit would be a good drag package. Seen a few extended w/b Bandit conversions that were good runners. May yet build one.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys.

@332_RC. Glad you're interested in 132ft no-prep. johnnydmd's got a good link going with his ongoing nitro build. Check it out. 132ft is the RC standard. 43mph is just a speed to begin with. Figgered if acceleration remained linear, that'd be 86mph at 132ft. About what speed my electric top fuel car was running back in the day. Maybe some of the 132ft gang could check their timing slips for half-track (66ft) speeds to see how close 43mph is to what their turning? Stick around. More to come (hopefully).

@johnnydmd. Yeah, industrial site. Wide smooth road. No storm drains. Relatively little crown to the surface. Just enough to drain water. Quiet as a tomb on weekends. Got an even better site I've got to seek permission to run on. Both sites within 5 miles of home.

Cheers. -AC
Thanks for the info! I've got a few street bashers. Infraction 6s & 3s and the 3s Senton I'm converting into street. I have a GNSS. I have some spots I can tape off to try out. Good to know what is FAST for 66/132. Only rig i have that would get close to 80 is my Infraction 6s for 132ft. I'm thinking I'll try out 66ft, see where one of them is at. Thanks man!!

Figgered if acceleration remained linear, that'd be 86mph at 132ft.

It won't be linear. It all depends on gearing, and with electric, the peak acceleration is at the start, and it gradually decreases with RPM.