5b,or ss shocks

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy j

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
is there a difference ??????
if so could some 1 tell me!
thanx

Shock bodies are the same for both.

The original RTR came with 4mm shafts.

The SS and RTR 2.0 come with 6mm shafts known as the VVC/HD setup.

Last edited:
i think some of the internals are different as well. my SS kit came with duplicate internal parts in both aluminum and plastic. i assumed the aluminum ones were upgrades. could be wrong though.

Shock bodies are the same for both.

The original RTR came with 4mm shafts.

The SS and RTR 2.0 come with 6mm shafts known as the VVC/HD setup.

i have the original ,,what parts would i need to get it to ss,would it be costly ?
thanx

Also the SS kit shocks come with rubber boots to cover the exposed portion of the shock shaft and help keep it clean, prolonging to life of the seals.

They are less likely to bend than the RTR shock shafts, though by no means are they impossible/hard to bend. There are many aftermarket shock setups that use even thicker shock shafts of more tougher metal.

Actually that is a heck of a deal for a rebuild kit. Those and a Dave's mint?....you are in there man. The new shocks do take some abuse for sure. Even though they have the rubber boots I still run the BadHorssie shock covers though....cheap insurance.

Also the SS kit shocks come with rubber boots to cover the exposed portion of the shock shaft and help keep it clean, prolonging to life of the seals.

They are less likely to bend than the RTR shock shafts, though by no means are they impossible/hard to bend. There are many aftermarket shock setups that use even thicker shock shafts of more tougher metal.

All versions of Baja shocks came with the rubber boots.

HPI's SS shock shafts are the same thickness as the after market shock shafts and the only after market shafts worth a damn are by Phatdad.

thanks for all ur help people .
much appreciated

All versions of Baja shocks came with the rubber boots.

HPI's SS shock shafts are the same thickness as the after market shock shafts and the only after market shafts worth a damn are by Phatdad.

Ooops my bad. It was my understanding that the VVC/HD shocks for the SS were the only ones that had the shock boots. I've not looked at the 2.0 or the original RTR.

As for aftermarket ones. Dunno. Just read things wrong I suppose.

Sorry to OP for bad info.

Are the SS shocks supposed to be the externally adjustable ones with the different hole sizes? Mine only came with different pistons, not adjustable ones.

They are.

VVC stands for Valve Variable Control.

Hmm. I didn't get those. Should I call HPI to get them? lol

i didnt get those in my SS either.. what is up with that?

edit: i just looked at the HPI site and a don't see the difference. i can't remember what the insides of mine looked like. rob or timmah can someone give a bit more insite?

Last edited:
If you got an SS, then you have VVC shocks.

They do come with different pistons you can use.

I don't use the VVC feature and have only seen it adjusted once by another racer. He fully compressed the shock and proceed to turn the shock end. No idea what it did.

Perhaps Tim can provide more insight.

heres a shot of the guts. i dont see any type of adjustment..

09.jpg

Sorry I can't help.

I tune my shocks using different pistons, oil and springs.

It could have been the original RTR shocks that were adjustable by twisting.

Either way, the shocks that come with the SS, 5T and RTR 2.0 are far superior to the ones that came with the original RTR.

Either way, the shocks that come with the SS, 5T and RTR 2.0 are far superior to the ones that came with the original RTR.

Agreed. However, I know for a fact that it says on my SS box that it comes with the VVC shocks, but I don't remember seeing any adjustable pistons. I know it could be convenient when you're out bashing on different surfaces like I do. I feel cheated :D lol

I am starting to think that it was the original shocks that you could adjust by twisting.

I tried searching for the answer over at HBF, but it was like shoveling through a 1000lbs of crap with a spoon.

the hpi site says the SS comes with VVC shocks. i put up a thread on hbf but got the same thing. the purple ones were adjustable.

so they went from adjustable shocks on the rtr to non adjustable on the ss? why does the site clame VVC on the SS??

weird