Baja 5b clones?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hulkmaxx

Wanna know my secrect. I'm always ANGRY!
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
OK guys I am considering getting back into the 1/5th scale again. I had a 5B awhile back. Anyhow I was just wandering out of the cheap knock off clones does anyone know which is better? King or the Rovan?I am looking close at the 30cc versions of both. Please don't give me static about buying a clone. My buddy had one and his held up as well as mu 5b did.

Rovan I had was great. Never broke anything. Fully interchangeable with the HPI labeled stuff. (I'm a full believer they are made in the same factory).

I like the Rovan colour combos..., but I've never seen one up close to compare it to my 5sc.

I'm baffled...my buddy had one he said was a king rovan,looked exact as a 5b....he always called it his king rovan

That's a head scratcher.......maybe he didn't know exactly what it was?!?......

Ok, people who own hpi's get pissy when this is said, lol, BUT it has been said by lots of people that they are in fact made at the same factory but relabled. Which is not surprising at all in this hobby to me. The only difference I've seen is there is a flat finish on the suspension arms apposed to gloss and the carbs are a different brand than what the hpi's come stock with. Other than that, they are the same.

Thanks guys. With the 1/5th scale getting somewhat more affordable I have been considering getting back in again. Had my hope set high on the Octane but with all the issues people are having I think I'll wait. Is the 30cc a good performing engine. I had the 26cc on the 5B I had, it ran out decent.

I won't get into a debate about which one to buy, or whether they're the same. That info is out there in spades if you research it. I will say this though, without HPI spending the R&D and engineering money initially, you wouldn't have any clones to pick from. Not to mention, none of the clone companies pump any of their money back into the RC community via hosting race series, driver sponsorships, donating kits and parts for raffles or to promote events, etc, but HPI sure does.

Also having owned an HPI 5B ss, all Bajas need some aftermarket fixes out of the box if you're going to bash hard, but that's just my opinion. I look at it as preventative maintenance, a little time and money now to prevent spending even more later on, not to mention it's less likely getting your playtime cut short if you fix the weak links now.

Well I have researched my friend. But people can be biased and not give honest opinions, that's why I started the thread. As for the Baja 5b I owned I was not really impressed with it but I bought it used. If I am going to have to upgrade from the get go then I guess one would be better off purchasing a clone to begin with. Maybe HPI should lower there prices a little so us poor boys can afford the real deal.

To each their own, but I will not give my money to a company whose entire business model is based on thievery. There aren't a ton of things that need upgraded really, it's mainly small things and some of them aren't even upgrades, they're things the car doesn't come with stock like limit straps to prevent breaking the shock ends off, and bumpers, things of that nature. And I've wanted lots of things I couldn't afford (and still do), so I simply worked overtime and saved my money and waited. It took me 3 years to buy my motorcycle for example.

Bud you aint gotta talk to me about working. I work 14hr days 2 jobs have since I graduated school. And I see your point on them ripping off Hpi. It's the same way with the Polaris RZR's which are ridiculously over price. You can buy the copy of those to for half priced. I got a 6 year old to raise so if a working stiff like myself can catch a break so be it anyhow inputs appreciated Thanks.

I'm not a Baja guy so this is completely unbiasted, if it was me and the cost was relatively close I would buy the HPI. If the cost is a lot more I may try out the off brand. Just my .2

Bud you aint gotta talk to me about working. I work 14hr days 2 jobs have since I graduated school. And I see your point on them ripping off Hpi. It's the same way with the Polaris RZR's which are ridiculously over price. You can buy the copy of those to for half priced. I got a 6 year old to raise so if a working stiff like myself can catch a break so be it anyhow inputs appreciated Thanks.

I didn't mean to infer you weren't a worker, sorry if it came off that way. Hard to convey one's tone over the intardnet. :D

You see, I myself have been on the fence a long time about these. I REALLY want a 5b, I have for years, but at almost double the cost of a clone, and nearing 1000 bucks, or more, I just can't do it. As a single dad raising two young sons on my own, ALL my money is spoken for before I have it, so to spend double on basically the exact same thing is not a viable option for me, when in reality I might be able to eventually swing the king, or rovan.

Told you HPI guys would get pissy :D

$1000 for the same thing as $500 is a no brainer for me especially when an extra $500 is not easy to come by.

The answer for @hulkmaxx is that both Rovan and King Motors are good. If you want to get back into 1/5 and dont wanna get raped over the price you would pay for the additional.... nothing, then go that route. doesn't matter if HPI came out with the first to me. I've seen enough poeple whine about there being clones that even if I had the money I wouldnt buy from HPI out of spite... If others didnt come out, we wouldnt have more than one car brand, Sony would be the only cd player brand, Schick would be the only electric razor, it would be lame. There are people who can't afford what others can, guess that means they shouldnt be allowed to like the same things? o_O

If you do buy a clone, be sure to do a THOROUGH tear down and inspection. I've seen too many dry diffs and cracked diff cups. Also be aware that the plastic can be a bit more brittle (RPM is your friend). Also make sure that you have a good kill switch like the Killer Bee.

If it is between $1000 and $500 I would buy the Clone and do like hamz said and replace a few parts with some rpm upgrades when the stock breaks. I wish some of these cheaper model rc's was interchangeable like that. If redcat would interchange with Traxxas or HPI etc I would buy the redcat. I'm sure a few of the parts may but the may driveline and stuff like that won't.

Told you HPI guys would get pissy :D

$1000 for the same thing as $500 is a no brainer for me especially when an extra $500 is not easy to come by.

The answer for @hulkmaxx is that both Rovan and King Motors are good. If you want to get back into 1/5 and dont wanna get raped over the price you would pay for the additional.... nothing, then go that route. doesn't matter if HPI came out with the first to me. I've seen enough poeple whine about there being clones that even if I had the money I wouldnt buy from HPI out of spite... If others didnt come out, we wouldnt have more than one car brand, Sony would be the only cd player brand, Schick would be the only electric razor, it would be lame. There are people who can't afford what others can, guess that means they shouldnt be allowed to like the same things? o_O

I had a nice long, well worded reply typed out, but I just don't have the energy for this. Buy whatever you want. But that's like saying that both Honda and Ford build cars, so Honda must have copied Ford because they built a car and called it their own. :rolleyes:

Randy, we both have our opinions and I don't wanna argue with a buddy about it. Agreed, by what you want.