2014 PC Build - Pic Heavy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok this is probably a really stupid question, but what are you building Greywolf. I have never seen anything like that. It almost looks like a arcade game. I'm not a IT guy so please be easy on the response. :)

I'm building a computer. This one though is going to not only be an absolute power house (I'm using some of the highest end components you can buy). I am an IT guy so this is kind of like the PC that every IT guy or even PC enthusiast dreams of building but rarely can afford to. I've got approx $6600 wrapped up in this build and I'm still looking at a minimum of another $300ish in order to finsih it ( that is if I dont run into unexpected things I need like more fittings etc). Its really expensive because of the high end components like my MoBo was $325, my Intel i7 4770k was something like $350-$400, 32GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM was approx $400, each one of those 2 Nvidia GTX 780Ti video cards with watercooling blocks and backplates was about $1250-$1300, the Corsair 900D case is the biggest mass produced case on the market and was a little over $300 also so one and so on. The custom watercooling loop I'm putting in the system is where like half the cost comes from. Highend watercooling equipment for custom loops is very very expensive. for example just the water fittings I bought (those little "chaingun" fittings in the picture above cost approx $7.50/ea and I needed 24 of them. Thats about $180 just for those fittings. That doesn't even include the L fittings, caps, water temp plugs, and specialty fittings to make the drain. the 3 radiators i have in the system cost approx another $500ish. All of the cabling in the computer I'm custom making by hand from scratch. Not only is that quite expensive to make individually sleeved custom cables but it soooooooooooooooooooooooooo time consuming. In fact it down right sucks and i'll never do it again. At least not on the scale I did here. I dotn know the exact cost but it was probably something like $300ish for all the stuff to do it. I used top grade silicone high strand count wire which even though its only 18AWG I've had to buy something like 60-70 meters of it. It takes way more wire than you would thing to create all these cables in a PC especially when your case is as big as mine. I had to build a custom stand for it to sit beside my desk because the case is to big to put on or even under my desk. I'm also planning a bunch a really cool custom lighting things and a custom switch panel on the front of the PC that should be really awesome, If I do a good job on it that is. I'm also not using standard flexibel water tubing but instead I'm using UV red hard acrylic tubing that has to be heated and bent into shape. This is something I've never dont before so that ought to be interesting...and time consuming! lol. The two water reservoirs (the tube that have the helix looking things in them) are custom made by a small company kinda like ERCM. The helixes are UV reactive (my PC is going to be White and UV red with UV lighting) and have UV cathode tube lights that run up the center of them. I dont recall right off but I just remember that the Reservoirs were really expensive and took about 2 or 3 months for me to get them cuz the guy was so back logged. Once its all put together and running since everything will be extremely watercooled I plan on overclocking everything under the sun on this thing. I'm gonnan overclock the CPU (hopefully to 5Ghz), the video cards, the RAM, and the front side bus on the motherboard. It should be the PC equivilent of a 9second drag car when I'm done :) I could go on and on and on about all the rest of the hardware and all of the custom work I've got planned for this thing but it would take way more time than I want to spend typing! lol. Dont worry though, Once I get it done I'll be making a video of it and showing off all of the cool custom stuff I have planned for this thing. The video should really showcase everything that went into the build and everything I did to it as well.I hope to be done with the build by spring or maybe early summer at the latest, barring any complications. I'll post more pics as I get them and I'll do the video once its all done.

The purpose for the computer is mainly for playing video games, video editing for my Youtube RC channel, and its also just a show piece. Something that even long after the PC is gone I can show my grandkinds pictures of it and say "Yep, I did that once" :)

Very cool. Way way way over my head but cool lol. What's your youtube channel? I like watching RC channel. I follow a few guys on there that make pretty good video's.

Greywolf Studios, I havent made to many videos in the last couple years but once I get this PC out of the way I plan to start back up again. :)

Wow, that's a lot of money and work just to get on RCNT.
Well, I guess you'll also be able to get email, right?
Sounds like someone has PC envy! :p

Besides dont you have about that much in that fancy schmancy shelf queen savage you have? lol

Last edited:
The 750 GTX Ti that I'm running in my new workhorse isn't exactly tiny. I do like the lighting under the dust shield. I'm getting a second Samsung EVO 850 250 GB to run a RAID 0 in it as well.

I dont know how I got a long without SSDs back in the day...or how we ever even got by with 256MB hard drives...@Rolex tell us about teh days of punch cards! lol

Punch cards and tape drives. Ah, the good old days when a computer filled a huge room, air conditioned to 55 degrees.

I remember the days of punch cards, but I actually used marked cards. I also remember tape drives (remember the TRS-DOS "CLOAD" command?)as well as 5 MB hard drives. Yeah, I've been messing with computers since before the days of the Internet....

I never had the tape drive for the C-64, but I did have a 1541 and a direct connect 300 baud modem.

I was in computer programming school during the upgrade from 1401 to the 360.
Anyone confused by that info? Anyone remember Cobol or Basic?

100IFA=5THENPRINT"YES":GOTO160

I might have seen something liek that around...lol remember the basic program they gave you in the commodore 64 manual that made the hot air ballon float by on your screen? lol

I could make a bird flutter on my TV using my VIC-20. Sort of like these...( ) but sideways to resemble wings. I was impressed.

I actually learned a few programming languages in college.

Sheeeit! I've never seen a computer build before. Those computers are ridiculous. Very cool.