Engine recommendations

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowtie4x4295

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Bought myself a 3.3 Revo, Love it. It cranks and runs perfect. Let the 14 year old daughter drive it and she just lit up and had a ball. I found her a 2.5 T-Maxx, bought it for her. I have been tuning and tuning and am about to come to the conclusion that the 2.5 is just wore out. VERY hard to get started, runs great for about 5minutes then dies with no warning and is almost impossible to get started again. Just a pain. So I'm thinking about just putting the 3.3 from mine on hers and picking up a little nicer engine for the Revo. Would like more power but nothing insane. No racing, just a little light bashing with the daughter. Hard to find ways to get quality time with them at that age. Want something reliable, holds a tune, just not much trouble. Just bought two trucks so not wanting to spend a great deal on one. Would love some quality recommendations.

Thanks, Mike

The OS .21 TM would fit the bill nicely. It's got more power than the 3.3 but it's not going to be uncontrollable. It also holds a tune very nicely.

Isn't it a little on the pricey side though?

Mike

^If you're lucky.
Considering the Picco .26 will walk all over the 21tm I'd say the .21 is pricey. Both engines would be an excellent upgrade, and they're both high quality mills.
I'd say get the .21, because the .26 needs a mount to work......but you can get .26 and mount for about 200-220 bucks. The real problem, in my opinion, is the mount. The Ofna mount pretty much limits you to one gear ratio, and the fully adjustable New Era mount is getting hard to find. The stock exhaust will limit the .26's power output too, so it really comes down to the good 'ol dollar.
As far as driveline problems and/or upgrades go, you should get a better clutch no matter which engine you buy.

Thanks, keep hearing about the OS .21TM, was just curious if this was pretty much what everyone's feeling was or if there were more options. The OS .18TZ looks quite nice as well, seems to have a bunch more power as well.