bell housing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jk6672

RCTalk Talkaholic
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I had a failure today. I don't know exactly what happened first, lost c clip then bearing or bearing tore apart taking clip with it.
I took a couple pictures, can I re-use the clutch bell housing? If so, should I clean it up a bit with a barrel sander attachment? My shoes are toast.

6844145693_115fafa140_b.png

notice the shoes, does it look like the shoes had been worn that way quickly from the lost of the front bearing or does it look like I lost the front bearing and because the housing slid forward the shoes had been worn like that after a few tanks?

6844146993_507f72823d_b.png

thats what u get for using alloy pads. but id say wasn't shimmed properly and then the bearings either failed or the e clip came off and then bearings.... were the springs still attached when u took the cb off? they could of failed too.

Yeah the springs are still there. I ordered some Acer bearings along with another STRC clutch. The STRC was my first aftermarket clutch, it's not a good one?

imo there is nothing wrong with the factory one... the motor to the wheels and everything in between is made from plastic and metal from factory to have weak points so they break. putting metal inside of metal is only going to cause problems... (or maybe heat in this instance?)

eg putting metal drive shafts in is only going to rip ur gearbox apart. unless u make everything metal... and thats when youll start having problems that you dont know ur having because you can't see the weak spot breaking... eg the spur gear shreds when the mesh or shim isnt correct on the cb... instead of it running hot and overheating ur motor and distroyin that cuz, its not running fast.... give it more juice... unless your a full expert and notice it and know exactly what the problem is...

i dunno, just my opinion... mine goes like stink and wheelies all the time.. and its practically factory (apart from FOC).... if u need more grab from ur clutch then its not set properly. same goes with your slipper

lol bellhousing.

Nice bellhousing! lmao

Right^, and to think that metal shafts will rip your tranny apart is ridiculous.
You need a slotted flywheel nut, the slot is for the springs, and keeps your clutch shoes from moving forward. That damage was probably caused by bad bearings, but I think your clutch got super hot in the process. I know it had moved forward, the Integy clutches do that too.

Yeah, I bet that also explained the higher engine temps I tried to compensate by running richer. Lol learn every day possible troubleshooting scenarios

i say stick with stock... less complications....

yeh the 3 piece alloy clutch my be super awesome... but are you racing and in the top 5? if not its not worth the hassle.... same with most aftermarket "hopups" there only for the pro racers that need that extra ommpfff

yeh the 3 piece alloy clutch my be super awesome... but are you racing and in the top 5? if not its not worth the hassle.... same with most aftermarket "hopups" there only for the pro racers that need that extra ommpfff
No....not at all. You are WAY off the mark here. There is NOTHING wrong with metal drive shafts, nothing wrong with alloy shoes. There are a lot of alloy upgrades that ARE pointless like aluminum A-arms. But honestly it kinda sounds like you need to do your homework and learn a bit more before you really try to give too much advise.

I would say that a good clutch set up is one of the best things anyone can do to their vehicle.

You don't have to race to enjoy the benefits of a well tuned clutch, it maximizes the performance of your engine in all situations.

like? a well tuned factory clutch compared to a aftermarket clutch is better in what way for a basher?

Let's be honest here, ok. The stock traxxas clutch works decent, but can only be setup 2 different ways. They don't last, and they can't hold any real power for very long. At roughly 8-12 bucks a pop you'd have to keep a new one in stock or else risk having your day of bashing/racing ruined by a broken stock clutch. Lets not forget about the ocassional pin falling out of the trx flywheel.
On the other hand, you could get a nice 3 shoe clutch and flywheel for about 20-50 bucks, depending on the brand. I currently have 2 Integy clutches that have lasted well over 3 gallons each. When the shoes and springs wear out, I buy new ones for 7 bucks. This isn't the best clutch in the world, but for 20 bucks it can hold a big block just fine.
I now have an M2c clutch going into my platinum project, and my XXL also has the 4 shoe M2c. Compared to the stock 3 shoe clutch on my XXL the 4 shoe M2c has been far superior.....in other words, the cheap clutch that came with your 5309, well, it's cheap.

yeh as u said, for the big blocks it sucks... but for a stock, basher there wouldnt be much of a difference...

mines gone through more than 4.5gallons and it still running better every time i take it out and the clutch it came with is still in there... (even through a few really bad bearing failures) i dunno, i just dont see a point in upgrading something that seems to work fine... from a bashing perspective. not having a bash at ppl that use them for racing and or have money to throw around.

in saying the above mines showing signs of wear and that soon it will need to be replaced so i have another for backup (cost me $5, pads and spring, dunno where u got 8-12) like i do most parts cuz living in Australia can be a pain and very expensive for parts. eg my last order that was $200 would of cost me over $500 here to get local... and local shops here wonder why they arent making lots of profit lol

Last edited:
Come on, 4.5 gallons? You must driving around in circles non-stop every day.

Four and a half gallons on a stock Traxxas clutch?......mmmmm-kay. Well I have 200 gallons on my aluminum clutch and it um...like does wheelies forwards and backwards....and it like can pull a house and and and....like it is really cool and stuff. REALLY?

i think i get about a gallon on a set of traxxas clutches. next time u get alittle money ill upgrade to a 3 shoe set up or the a 2 shoe alloy(alittle nervous about the one as its always the spring that fails on my traxxas).

Damn Joey that's impressive! I think I'll switch back to stock when my sirio 27 goes in the platinum. Maybe I can put a traxxas clutch in my XXL....:kookoo:

It IS impressive and I am not afraid to lie .....um... I mean exaggerate a little either!! But I will say one thing....if you don't know how to properly use aftermarket part you ARE probably better off leaving it to those of us who do know a bit more about RC. Just saying.