Solution to bearing slip?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REVO-5309

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey my one way bearing on the pull start is slipping a bit. iv tried lightly using sand paper on the surface the bearing contacts with and cleaned and re oiled the bearing but it still slips a little. do i need a new bearing or is the axle/shaft in the block stuffed?

What did you oil it with? It very well could be your bearing is just plain worn out. Both the beaaring and/or the shaft can be suspect. Personally I would never sand the shaft because that takes off metal and that only will lead to more slipping. To clean I use DA and put a paper towel in the bearing and spin it around. Then I re-oil with WD-40. Nothing heavier. Check and find with you can get for cheaper the bearing or shaft. Only problem with the shaft is you have to pull the engine apart....with is a non-issue really since it is very simple to do.

yeh. ill prob just get a new bearing first as i know they will be cheaper. if problem is still there new shaft. now its pull start with a glow plug it basically starts straight up now... so its not a big a deal as it was with ez start.

I wouldn't hit it with any less than 600 grit, but the big problem is probably your fuel. What fuel are you using? I have a couple bearings from 2004 in my tool box, and they still work.

whats fuel got to do with it? the bearing is outside the motor seal....

There will still always be oil seepage. The thick oil typically the castor gets in the bearing and makes it slip.

i read somewhere to use 15-40 engine oil... ???

Cleaned my owb with denatured alcohol and worked like new! No more slip.

so what dont use oil?

I would go with what frickenjoey said about using WD-40 nothing heavier. IMO

15W40 will put the slip in it for sure!! That would be a pretty bad idea IMO too heavy of an oil. Clean with denatured alcohol and spray with WD-40. The heavier the oil the more it will slip.

fe. ill take it off and do it that way. does brake cleaner do the same as denatured alcohol? cuz i have some of that lying around.

Brake cleaner will most likely destroy the plastic. You could probably get it working good with just wd-40. Soak it in some then spin it around on the shaft a few times.....and repeat.

So what fuel are you running anyway?

20% AT racing... In Australia btw

Traxxas claims to lubricate the OWB with Mobil 1 5W 30 and nothing else.

Having not tried it myself though yet, I can't really comment.

Traxxas claims to lubricate the OWB with Mobil 1 5W 30 and nothing else.

Having not tried it myself though yet, I can't really comment.

Not saying you are wrong but what manual did you read that in. I have never seen that in any Traxxas books I have seen.

Hope this works lol

f4a535a3.jpg

Well I be darned never seen it before. that is a new on me. In the past they aways said WD-40 for everything. Happens that is what I had used in t anyway. To me that is still too thick...but you are right it says it right there. I wonder if Mobil paid a little for that blurp...lol

yeh thats the thing i saw but after using wd40 it works fine...

Haha. Yes. Maybe they did. I use castrol 5W30 in my 1:1 car. Wonder if Traxxas would frown upon it lol.

Back