Shock Tuning

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bkyd Basher

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey guys just lokin for some tips on setting up my revo suspension. Like what weight oil, pistons rocker arms. I just have stock shocks but looking to improve towards a racing setup with some descent air jumps.Thanks for any help?

os should i just invest in some better shocks to begin with?

Rumor has it, the GTR shocks are pretty much the best shock for our revo's. It's just a matter of tunning them for your need. I'm getting ready to experiment with some AE 47.5w oil (newbie here)

ok.cause i bought some 45 wt oil at the dealer and filled my shocks and was thinkin it might be to heavy of an oil. I am useing the long travel rockers with the lt springs that came with the truck and they are just not good. tons of sag and not much rebound adjusted way up even.

Get rid of the LT's JMO. I've tried the LT's and it looks cool sitting up the high, but handling sucks.

what do u preffer 1 2 3? and what springs are u running?

P2 rockers, green springs in front, gold in back, 40 wt oil.

There is a special piston kit that has a shim that restricts compression or rebound damping. I enlarged the shim holes and have it set to provide fast rebound and maximum compression damping. Works killer and only cost $7!!!

how much did u enlarge the shim holes by? And that kit is just for the GTR shocks and not the stock set right? Oh and also i have 35 wt oil would that be close enough?

I was woundring about this to I went to 50 wt oil and #2 valves and it sags bad in the rear it has alot of droop but bottoms out easy over little bumps too

Isnt GTRs whats on them already? I know the vlx slash its GTR but I thought these were too?..

This is a great thread I was wondering the same, to achieve the best truggy cog and looks.

Plan on turning my bad boy into a wicked truggy, like my Jato :D

well i figured out my problem with the tmaxx i was workin on with the same issue. I rebuilt the shocks and they were crap in the back. So i realized the big backer set screws for the camber i believe were to tight binding up and making the shocks act dead. Backed them out just the slightest bit and there it was works great. Not sure about the revo yet i havent got into that yet.

Isnt GTRs whats on them already? I know the vlx slash its GTR but I thought these were too?..

This is a great thread I was wondering the same, to achieve the best truggy cog and looks.

Plan on turning my bad boy into a wicked truggy, like my Jato :D

Nah, the GTR's have a hard anodized body, and Ti Nitride coated shafts, they're super smooth. I'm going to get a set for the MERV at some point, they're awesome shocks.

how much did u enlarge the shim holes by? And that kit is just for the GTR shocks and not the stock set right? Oh and also i have 35 wt oil would that be close enough?

I enlarged the rebound port holes to 1.2mm, yes w/ GTR shocks.

Pretty big difference between 35 and 40 wt, give it a try w/ 35 wt and see how it works! It's all about trying things out.

I also built them w/ full rebound, the shocks were capped with the pistons in the full extended position. This makes the spring rate a bit more progressive as the shaft displaces oil in the body.

does anyone know the wt of the oil that comes with the big bore shock kits for the tmaxx, i looked all over but doesn't say?

Do those valves make that much differance ?? And from what I read I need to go with a lower weight oil than 50 may be 35/40

Last edited:
Back