Idle Problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoughNck821

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey all, new to the forums and to nitro... been doing it for just about a year. I have a Revo 3.3 and have not run it for a couple months. I took all proper precautions before storing it. I can get it to fire up and idle fine but as soon as i pull the igniter out it dies almost immediately. I've talked to a few people at my local hobby shop and called Traxxas. Everyone has told me I need to run a hotter glow plug, I am running too rich, or my fuel is bad. I have since replaced the plug, got new fuel and returned all carb settings to stock and have tried to tweak from there but to no success. I pulled the engine and carb apart tonight cleaned everything and checked all seals and O-rings. The only thing visibly wrong I have found was a busted engine mount, but I dont suspect that would affect engine idle. I am out of ideas, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.
p.s. I've included a link to a video I took to help explain my issue. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you might have gotten a bad plug, i dont think the idle set screw would cause this, you might wanna check it though, make sure its about 1mm, or a small paper clip. But i would lean more towards the bad plug.

thanks for the advice bud but i just put a new plug in yesterday. McCoy M59. i have 3 others I've tried, medium and hot... I dont know what else it could be... =/

Well. This is what I gathered. It's not firing on it's own once you pull the glow plug igniter. I am still new to this as well, but I am very experienced in the motor world. The combustion just isn't happening once you lift the heat source.

Makes me believe it's the fuel. But. have you pulled the head off and looked inside the sleeve and at the piston? I bet there's a problem somewhere in there.

i did have bad fuel, but i tore it down tonight. pulled out the piston and sleeve, shaft. all down to individual pieces... cleaned all out and oiled back up with traxxas oil and then cleaned tank and added new fuel lines... i replaced all o-rings on my carb and added new fuel and still nada... haha... keep it coming guys, i appreciate the help...

The first problem I see is that you're just on a bench and don't have a throttle servo hooked up. The idle seems a bit slow and it didn't run long enough to put enough heat in it to stay running. When it first starts the you should use the trim to open the carb slightly for a high idle. Then you can rev it a couple of times to clear out the excess fuel from starting it and build a little heat to sustain ignition.

Overall it's not far off.

Thank you for that Racer. It is only on the bench right now to display my problem, it was in the car but I'm waiting on a new engine mount... but you suggest leaving my igniter in longer at higher idle to warm up? I have tried that but any tips and advice are more than welcome. Thank you. Also I've not experienced this problem before... Could it be due to colder temps? I've never really ran it in the cold before even though it not that cold. I'm in the bay area in CA...

Last edited:
Cold will definitely make a big difference. It may even be necessary to wrap the head with foil or a sock to help it stay warm enough to run. How cold is cold there?

During the day, its high 50s to mid 60s... what about maybe taking a heat gun to the head before running????

Last edited:
Hey Guys, I've tried all your suggestions and still no go :(. Is it possible that it may be a bad piston and/or sleeve? I've pulled it apart and have seen no visible damage... I'm just running out of options...