Revo 3.3 has been delievered. Dont know where to start.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nautcasprt6

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Its finally here and can't wait to bash, but have a few things to do before that.
Ordered the Revo 3.3 from UltimateHobbies Monday morning and it was delivered Friday afternoon. Pretty dam quick for being shipped from Cali to NY.
Now I've watched the DVD, read the manual, but I dont want to take it outside until I do the loctite and the waterproofing since the car is fresh and clean (for now).
I dont even know what to loctite. I know you guys say everything but there has to be a limit as far as everything. Also, what exactly do I plastidip? I saw the video on youtube of them plasti dipping justy one servo and that was a spray. I went ahead and bought the liquid so I can just dip the part in.
Whaty exactly needs to be waterproofed?
Last thing, I read about putting a balloon over the receiver box and a sock on the engine. Can someone elaborate on the sock..... and what else would need to be done before I put this bad boy outside???
Any pics of what and how all this can be done would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Bert

IMG_20120128_003411-vi.jpg
Hosted on Fotki

IMG_20120128_003422-vi.jpg
Hosted on Fotki

IMG_20120128_003846-vi.jpg
Hosted on Fotki

IMG_20120128_102752-vi.jpg
Hosted on Fotki

Last edited:
WOW!! Where to start -

When using loctite use the blue as the red is very hard to disassemble. You should loctie any screws that go into metal (metal to metal contact). These are the 1's that will start to become loose from vibrations. Look closely as theres plenty of hidden 1's.

Waterproofing - I've never used plastisol dip but its my understanding you may wanna look at getting some waterproof servos as they are gauranteed and plastisol is not. Your radiobox should have a gasket that will work as a seal to a point. Because its a nitro its not like you will be able to submerge it anyway.

The sock is used to help retain the heat from the motor. Most of us wont run our nitros during the winter (most of us would also advise against doing a break in during cold weather as well!) But if you do the sock will aid in retaining the heat.

I have a budget build tmaxx I run in the winter but its a complete beater so I dont care if I break it. I built it for running in the snow. Breaking in and bashing a brand new RC in NY during this time of year...... Good luck my friend!! Your LHS will start loving you and your paycheck pretty soon!

Start by reading the owner's manual!

It's always best to wrap the head in colder weather, that way you can retain engine heat and run it rich. It must be around 200° and rich for a proper break-in.

A little blue locktite is nice on bolts that thread into metal, but you can just check them for tightness.

Do what the manual says if you want the engine to work properly, and never make large needle adjustments.
However, you will need to richen the needle if it's cold outside, maybe a full turn or more if it's like 40 out.

Last edited:
heat the motor with a hair dryer before u get going, will make it a fair bit easier to start the first time. and use fully charged batteries.

just double check all ur screws around the motor/gear box between your tanks when breaking it in. thats when there most likely to some out. and check the slipper clutch between each run. i didnt check mine and a pad went flying so i had to stop still i found a hobby shop with one.

i suggest taking out the left side steering servo and putting it in place of the throttle/brake servo. its got more power and your steering only needs the one other wise they will wear each other out and ull use more battery power when there fighting. then just keep the old throttle as a backup.

might also be worth keeping a forward only conversion in ur kit as in the near future you will either break reverse or want to get rid of it. it will reduce a LOT of weight.

thats all i can think of for now. oh and maybe get a couple extra glow plugs.

they are the same servo number so why would u replace one with the same thing?

they are the same servo number so why would u replace one with the same thing?

if your talking about the throttle and steering servo ...they are not the same number .....steering is 2075 and throttle is 2056 ...the 2075 is stronger and a bit faster

Run it rich and if u notice it isnt turning as sharpe as u think it should there is another adjustment on the steering servo horn to get that extra quarter turn. I suggest leaving it where it is for break in tho. The less steering sensitivity helps during high speed break in especially the 4th and 5th tank while not being experienced. Also may want to stiffen the suspension if you are gona be jumping a lot. I hit a jump the other day and bottomed out on the top of the jump and nose planted. Set up to race out of the box needs a little adjusting.

You shouldn't have to waterproof the servos, I believe that the new Revos are running the waterproof servos from the factory. I may be wrong as I haven't researched it too much, but just from seeing them I know they are blue.

they are waterproof. and removing a steering servo wont change the steering. it will just make it more reliable and less battery drain

they are waterproof. and removing a steering servo wont change the steering. it will just make it more reliable and less battery drain

So both the steering and throttle servos r waterproof? I was actually reading on waterproofing my truck so looks like I wont need to. Is there anything that would need to be waterproofed?

I would still put the receiver in a balloon and ziptie the end just to be on the safe side.

yeh the 2.4g receiver isnt waterproofed. so yeh the baloon is a great idea. i havent waterproofed mine as i try to keep it out of water at all costs cuz it wont just stuff up electrics....

but yes all the servos are waterproof.....

and in saying i keep it out of water.... you dont wanna smash it through water and the air filter to get knocked off and water to go into ur motor.... not saying that it happens all the time but worst case...

It's always best to avoid water.

i took mine through loads of puddles and in snow, no issues.

the latest servo's are water proof. Just dry it off after use to stop rust etc.

yet. not good for your motor tho. servos may be waterproof but i nkow iv stufed one of mine up by going through water..

yet. not good for your motor tho. servos may be waterproof but i nkow iv stufed one of mine up by going through water..

when i was going through the snow i could see the engine steaming as the snow was splashed on it LOL :hehe:

couple of my fins fell of i think cuz of that sudden heat change.

couple of my fins fell of i think cuz of that sudden heat change.

I'm really pushing the stock 3.3 no problems so far :)

If it dies i'll deffo swap it for the EZ version of the P2 Pico .26 that thing has some serous power

yeh iv been thrashing mine. so far iv replaced the cooling head and main bearing. but iv given it hell since beginning on november :p

Back