EZ Start wand problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REVO-5309

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey, i was trouble shooting a problem with starting my revo. the electric starter was just spinning after the motor done one to two rotations. so i ended up cleaning up around the one way bearing and then using some very fine sand paper to roughen up the shaft as it looked like it was spinning. and after i did that it was spinning fine but then after trouble shooting why it wasn't starting again it seemed the glow plug wasn't heating up at all, tested a few other glow plugs with the same problem.

so i tested some more with the earth and what not and the problem seems to be on the circuit board as the lights indicate that the glow plug is working but there is no glow. any ideas on what has blown and how to separate the circuit board and the button from the wand?

with this all happening I'm in the process of making an order from the states to Australia with a whole heap of little things so iv chucked in a pull start and a glow plug igniter. but ill only put those on if the wand can't be fixed by some simple soldering and what not.

Looks like your starter has a busted internal component.

I tried to split mine, and its the same. The button end of the board is stuck solid.
I'm presuming that the button is integral to the casing, and the soldered button pins are holding the board in place. I haven't been game enough to go any further with mine, just in case I make it all fubar-like.

The starter motor is oh-so-helpful, but all that glow wire gubbins, is a pita. Leave it stuffed, and get yourself a standalone starter. Use that, combined with the half knackered wand. Much easier ;)

i had the same thing happen and i found out that if the started motor wont go the glow light wont come on ether (taking all the juice to try to turn????). i had mine spin and stop spin and stop then it just stoped and wouldnt do anything. tore down the ez start down to the motor and it turned out that the screws that hold the motor to thr case had backed out and jammed the motor. thighten the screws and i was back in bussiness

yeh, ill have to give the soldering a go i think. but the starter motor is working like a champ now, just the glow plug isnt glowing. so yeh. will have a closer inspection today

does anyone know where i can get a circuit board diagram of the wand? I'm pretty keen to not pay like 30 odd $ for one so i might as well fix it myself if i can sort out whats blown/faulty

Hey man I think I have one or two that I will never use. I have to look for it. If you I can find it you can have it. I will look tomorro. All you have to do is pay the shipping if you want it

ok ill have a think about it. it will be postage to australia so not sure how much that will be. and only use fedex as they have shipped my last 2 ordered from the states in 5 days from pickup to drop off including public holidays which i think is awesome... I'm hoping that my pullstart and plug heater turn up tomorrow night and ill have a play with that and see how i like it. if i get sick of pulling it ill hook up the starter motor and yeh.

can you PM me if you find them so in the future (2-6weeks) i can contact you easier.

Have you tried measuring the output voltage directly on the wand to make sure it is working? I have read of these failing. Mine is outputting too much voltage and maybe the cause of me burning through glow plugs. Mine outputs 3.36V. They should be no more than 2V.

Check it out with a multimeter.

Also, I believe it's just a diode that regulates the voltage. If you have no output. It maybe this that has blown. If you can get it apart (I'm sure you will) it maybe just a simple change so long as you could source the correct rating.

Last edited:
well i actually got some wire and wired the wand straight to a glow plug. and nothing. didnt wanna light up at all, yet when i wire it to a C battery it worse fine. i figured it decided to break when i was trying to start it for a good 1-2 min while the one way bearing was slipping and not turning over the motor so i was trying to touch the button every sec cuz it would turn over the motor 1-3 time before slipping.

Seems no two ways about it. The wants diode is shot then.

So, you could get a glow igniter and have done with and still use the wand to turn it over. Or, get into the wand.

If you choose the latter it would be a great help for others if you could document it.

well. i have the wand circuit board out atm. so if i take a photo of it if someone could tell me which bit i need to unsolder and replace ill do it...

How did you get the board to separate from the wand? I tried a few things, but I'm being a bit cautious with mine as it still works spot-on.

If I can separate mine, Ill do a few tests and see if I can point you in the right direction :)

u have to unsolder the button from the board. bit fiddly but comes off. other option is bit harder. u have to press the board up into the button so that it sticks out a bit and then the red button has 2 little clips u have to push it on 2 sides. u can try push the 2 metal pins back into the wand that are under the red button and that will push it all out but i tried pushing them once i unsoldered it. and yeh they were pretty much stuck in there... so there is a chance u might snap the mounts holding those metal pins in... i would just unsolder it.

sweet, ill be up for another hr or 2 to hear back.

well. i have the wand circuit board out atm. so if i take a photo of it if someone could tell me which bit i need to unsolder and replace ill do it...

I'm sure it could be figured out between us.

b5e5741c.jpg

7db85fd7.jpg

blue is glow plug and yellow is earth.

I "think" the diode is the black cylindrical shape above your thumb on the bottom picture.

diode -> capacitor?

i use to replace those on motherboards in PC's but there a bit bigger and they usually expand a bit on the top so there easy to see if there blown. if thats all the problem is then that is extremely easy and cheap for me to fix.

diode -> capacitor?

i use to replace those on motherboards in PC's but there a bit bigger and they usually expand a bit on the top so there easy to see if there blown. if thats all the problem is then that is extremely easy and cheap for me to fix.

So you are quite conversant with electronics?

I think you may have me on my terminology lol. I had read somewhere it's a diode that fails.

So, if you want to cut down voltage on a PCB board what do you use?

A capacitor stores voltage like a battery. A diode only allows flow one way doesn't it?

What's the silver heatsink? Is this what could step the voltage down?

I ain't no electronics engineer, I'm mechanical. But I like to know how things work lol and try to fix things. That's why I said I'm sure WE can figure it out lol.