Thunder Tiger Pro-50BK?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeniik

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi.

As there is no replacement for displacement I am thinking about putting the TT .50 (8.2ccm) engine into the Revo (http://www.tiger.com.tw/product/9445.html). Does anyone have any experience with this engine and maybe even with putting it into a Revo? It does have a side exhaust which may require some fiddling with the engine's position and maybe a custom exhaust manifold but:

1. The engine is pretty cheap
2. It may not be the most powerfull but should have a lot of torque which I like
3. It is exactly 1/1000 the size of the beloved and biggest 500cui GM V8 ;-)

Any thoughts? And do not tell me that putting a new TRX 3.3 is the easiest way as I know it already ;-)

I have heard nothing but bad about Thunder Tiger products, and if its cheap, that should be your first reason to stay away. You can port and have someone mill a 3.3 that would smash on most factory drop ins for trucks.

IMO, stay away.

There IS replacement for displacement in the RC world. It is called a quality engine. I will bet money that engine will get walked all over by a LRP .30 or Picco P3 .28 no questions asked. Just because it is BIGGER does not mean better or stronger. There is a reason you don't see people doing it all the time.....Yeah it has torque but it is still SLOW torque. It is a heli engine modded to go in a ground based vehicle. You are looking to spend a lot of money modding something to end up with a sub-par performer.

I get your point, Joey. But I am not a racer and my classical approach to a broken engine is "I got plenty of salvage parts laying around, let's try to mend it". It usually ends up in tears but this is not a real issue for me.

And to be honest: There is no such thing as a slow torque. There is only "not enough revs or torque to make enough horsepower" which should be no problem as the original TRX3.3 has about 2 HP, this "poopy" mill will have the same outpup I think. Just because it being so big.

Yes, not that much of a logic in my post ;-) but the real question is: Why is this engine no good? Does it break conrods? Does it wear too fast? Does it overheat? What about the side exhaust? Have you installed some side-exhausted engine to the revo? These are the questions I am trying to get answered. ;-)

I hope it makes more sense now.

You're not going to get alot of satisfaction out of this idea.

The revo isn't the right kind of rc vehicle for a slower engine with gobs of torque. Like Joey said, any good to high end engine will spank this thing.....in fact, I'm pretty sure a modded racing .21 would be enough if you geared it correctly. A good race mill can rev well over 40,000 rpm.

As for horsepower, the most ever recorded from a 3.3 was .98 hp. I don't know what this .50 is rated at, but it probably has between 1 and 1.5 hp, with ridiculous fuel consumption.

Back