Steering and Turning Radius Questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vetteklr

RCTalk Talkaholic
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So I've tinkered with this thing enough to know the basic in's and out's of it. But I'm still a new guy to caster/camber/toe and all of that stuff. I'm reading up on a few things but I've noticed it takes forever to turn this thing. Small radius turning is out of the question. Maybe I have something to tight or loose.

What are you guys doing to get the best turning radius'

the plastic/rubber screws that hold the balls on the steering arm is have to be a touch loose otherwise if there too tight it doesn't allow the ball to move.

lol only noticed 2revo1maxx said the same above :p

Check this article out. You can get more throw from the steering if you do a little grinding here and there. Still way strong.

Slayden Revo set-up

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Here is a link with all of Steve Slayden's articles. Lots of excellent Revo info!

Slaydaddy lives on! :D:D:D:D:D

if u change the screw where the servo pivots u can increase the swing. if u can't steer enough then i dont know what the go is... u must be trying to turn around in a shopping trolly...

if u change the screw where the servo pivots u can increase the swing. if u can't steer enough then i dont know what the go is... u must be trying to turn around in a shopping trolly...
LOL!

Are you aiming to decrease the turning circle, of increase steering speed?
By moving the steering linkages to the outer point of the servo horn (as revo5309 mentioned), it will make the steering turn in more, but it will slow it down just a smidge. You will find you will need to take a bit off the bracket as mentioned before. You wont be able to go much more than this, as you are limited by the tie-rods.

If want it to turn quicker, your only option is to upgrade the steering servos. If its taking unusually long to turn, disconnect the linkages off the servos and move the wheels by hand. If it moves free, Id suggest a dying servo. Connect one of the linkages back up, and give the controls a flick from side to side. Then disconnect it again, and try the other side. The side that moves slower is the dying one.

You mentioned in another post that a control arm was destroyed. This might relate to that. If the steering is heavy when you try and move it manually, check the servo-saver isn't binding up. Disconnect all the servo linkages and tie rods, so the servo-saver is free to move on its own, if it feels tight, you know where the problem is.

Also check that the ball joints on the wheel hubs aren't too tight, Disconnect the tie-rods, and see if the wheels steer freely. If one of them binds up, adjust the ball joints out a bit and see what happens.

Last edited:
LOL!

Are you aiming to decrease the turning circle, of increase steering speed?
By moving the steering linkages to the outer point of the servo horn (as revo5309 mentioned), it will make the steering turn in more, but it will slow it down just a smidge. QUOTE]

Moving to the outer hole will speed up the throw, unless your servo or servos are too weak. You may have to be adjust your endpoints if you're gonna play with the linkage.
Best thing to do is like they said and diconnect the servos to free up the linkage.

Thanks a ton guys! I'll mess with it and see what the deal is.

When I say turning problems, I mean I want it to turn sharper AND faster. I've read about people going down to 1 steering servo, whats the reason for this? And if I were wanting to buy a faster servo which should I look at?

Thanks a ton for all of the suggestions! Y'all are great! :D

---------- Post added at 9:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:05 AM ----------

Also, just out of curiosity. What kind of tolerance do y'all allow in the hub/axle carrier for the pivot balls? It just doesn't seem right leaving a lot of play in them.

Ok I finally got a chance to tear it down and mess with it a little. One of the steering servo's was completely inoperable. What causes this? I checked em both across both plugs, the bad one didn't work in either and the good one worked in both.

They tend to fight each other since it's almost impossible for 2 servos to operate exactly the same. You'll be ok with one servo until you can get a better one.

The caps should be tightened until there's no play, but things can still move freely.

i usually tighten the caps and unscrew 1/8 turn to free it up a little. maybe a little less on the rear as the rear only goes up and down. and i removed one of my servos and put it up at the throttle/brake servo. works great and is stronger than the stock throttle servo. so its win win. unless ur racing the single stock steering servo will do u well. maybe buy one for backup if your a bit away from a shop and u like bashing a lot otherwise yeh there only 30$ each.