Revo 3.3 Transmission Woes...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vetteklr

RCTalk Talkaholic
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Since I got it broke in and going good I now have a few problems..... First and foremost I seem to have lost reverse. :\ My question is it ok to run it with the broken reverse (cause I have been). Additionally I'm havin problems getting it to backshift and it's also getting stuck in 2nd gear when slowing/coming to a halt.

Another problem I'm having is gettin the idle lined out. Totally off subject but that's kickin me in the arse! Hopefully you awesome folks can help me out.

On a side note this thing kicks ass! I've literally beat the crap out of it and it's taking a good whoopin! Broke some A-Arms and blew some tires off the rims. But that's part of it right!?:first_place:

I shelled my reverse within the first week. IMO it would be best to install the Forward Only Conversion (FOC). This would strengthen the transmission.

I was looking at them... any kit everyone prefer's specifically? Seems like it'd be a pain having no reverse...

Ok check on that, called and they have it at a local shop. I really appreciate it!

Now, About this back shifting business. What can I do to change that? I've read up in a few different places and it still seems grey to me.

You mean it won't downshift? It could be the second gear primary clutch in the trans, or an adjustment.

Yup! It'd have to play with the throttle to get it to shift back into first sometimes. Gonna play with it a little. Trying to locate a 3 piece clutch. They seem like the way to go. And the picco red dot is sounding kinda nice too. Haha! So much.

Once again thanks for all of the great info! Greatly appreciated!

Well, if your reverse gear went out, you more than likely have plastic bits all over in your trans now. So, when you install the FOC, clean all the parts/gears really well to get the plastic chunks out of everything. Also clean the 2 speed pawl mechanism.

I'm guessing it's just gunked up and sticking.

Got the transmission tore down this evening and FOC kit installed. Had that reverse gear shattered inside there. Hopefully it works out, I had a little trouble with the clip and dowel pin on one of the gears. Seemed the diameter of one was larger than the other, but the clips i had were the exact same size. Here's to hoping....

Also changed out the tie rods and "push rods" for the suspension to the upgraded ones, all fancy red looking. Now I'm rockin the Integy front uppers with the Red Rods. Looks pretty sweet I must say. I'll get some pics tomorrow after I run it some. This thing has turned into a pretty insane addiction.

Integy parts are nice looking but have no strength. You'd be better off running stock than Integy. STRC makes some good upgrades.

Did you look at first gear while it was apart?

I checked everything on the inside, it had some tiny plastic pieces from the shattered gear in it. I also went about 1/8 of a turn on the hex screw, clockwise, That should increase the shift if I'm not mistaken. Actually getting ready to go fire it up and make some runs with it right now. Loving this long vacation, lol

Yeah, it will shift later, can you post a video?

Yessir! I'll put some on Youtube, never made any RC videos, so I'm sure that's a whole new ballgame! Waitin on it to warm up a little, still in the 40's here... Gotta love Texas, 40 in the a.m. then 80 mid day sunny, then 60 and rainy in the evening. Lol

It's better than 15-25° all day and night.

Haha True story man, Had a nice day, Havent had a chance to get the videos up. Been tweaking and tuning all day. We are building a pretty sick track as well. Having some dirt hauled in at the moment. Meanwhile, we've crashed a Traxxas Savage 4x4 VXL and a Traxxas Summit, lol. These trips to the Hobby store are getting a bit pricey.

The Revo is holding up quite well, have it shifting right where I want, It'll yank the front tires and carry em out like I want them. Pretty solid set up so far. I'm very pleased!