What would you do?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jk6672

RCTalk Talkaholic
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm pretty new to this hobby and I find myself hooked. I've already bought tons of aftermarket items for my revo and I want another one to tell you the truth. I want one set up for dirt/sand and one set up for street. This is the thing that has me going, why should I buy a RTR revo when I'm just going to upgrade most things anyway. Sould I buy a used one and set it up the way I want to or should I just build one from the ground up? (never done that, but it doesn't seem too hard)

You can buy revo rollers from ebay for 200 bucks like I did and drop in the motor, radio, wheels and servos of your choice.

i did the same thing. i bought a real nice used revo 3.3 complete from ebay. it had alot of extras including a brand new 3.3 motor and extra set of wheels,tire, tranny,transmitter,etc. i found a new roller revo 3.3 off ebay last week. I'm gonna build up that truck over the winter with all my spare parts. i think you have a good idea op. have 2 trucks set up the way you like them.

Buy a roller/chassis on ebay, then upgrade what you want. That is, if you intend on replacing radio/servos/engine/wheels/tires with something else.

You can also find kicking deals on craigslist if you are going to upgrade anyways. I picked up a Revo there for $150 that runs great.

I believe by far, if you can resurrect a used Revo, go the craigslist way. I got one of mine cheap,(guy couldnt get it running). I spent 15 minutes with it(no money), and had it screaming, i am still running that engine! When I got it, i was surprised, undercarriage had no scratches at all( like brand new)....At least if you find someone local, you can look at it BEFORE you buy it, and possibly run it with the seller.....

yeah definately craigs or ebay, let somebody else pay the premium for being new:) I bought a Revo from CL and rebuilt it to what I wanted it to be, unfortunately I got rid of this Revo awhile back but not before I beat the snot out of it:)

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg

I decided to piece one together. I’ve all ready bought chassis, bulks, diffs, screw kit, RPM A arms, gas tank, servo boxes, set of GTR shocks, platinum transmission, traxxas wing mount, batter on/off switch.
I’ve been looking for a place to re-anodize parts. I’ve been thinking of anodizing the chassis black (with complementing silver rockers, shock mount, and shocks) or orange (with complementing black parts) Maybe I’m over thinking this project a bit.

Last edited:
You're not over thinking the build. A build of a truck means that you can make it what you want it to be.