So far & What Next

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonedriven78

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
This might be a little winded again, but I'll cut to the chase. I am still preparing my Revo 3.3 for this spring. I am going to Race this truck and am not 100% sure if I'm on the right track.

This has been done so far:
RPM A-Arms
RPM Axle Carriers
Lunsford Titanium Steering Turnbuckles
Traxxas CVD's
Traxxas Aluminum Pushrods
RC-One Shocks (Going to replace with Traxxas Aluminum GTR)
Servo Savers
Big Joe 6.3" Tires & Pro-Line Rims
O.S. 21TM Engine (I was goint to go with the RB MT11 engine, but after reading hundreds of posts, reviews and comments I thought I would try this little mill first). I hope this is good for racing. RB is still on order, I am still interested in trying it.
Dynamite Platinum Revo Pipe (DYNP5015)
Motor Saver Filter

What Needs to be done:
Install Hitech 9755TG, 9765MG & the other Hitech servo for reverse.
New Clutch (Recommendations??)
Rear Brake (Recommended??)
Forward Only Kit (Don't want to do this, but trucks must be forward only for racing, maybe I can just disconnect linkage to satisfy?)
New Gearing (Recommended for this engine, Racing with large jumps and steep hill)
Install Titanium Rockers
Install Traxxas GTR aluminium shocks
MIP center CVD kit (Has anyone tried this? It is very heavy and not sure if it's worth installing.)
Have various titanium parts (Body posts, mounts etc coming in)
Roll cage, anyone know of a good roll cage for this that isn't too heavy?
Fuel Cooler (Worth it?)
Fuel Filter (Necessary? I'm pretty careful)
I would like to install traxxas onboard temp display, is this unit heavy and is it accurate?

I'm sending my old 3.3 to Extreme RC Mods in Sylvan Lake to get an Extreme Mod. Once I break in this OS .21TM I'll send it as well.

I also have another TM 3.3 as a spare if anyones ever interested (I'm not sure if I'm aloud to post that??)

If anyone has gearing, tuning or other suggestions for seeing this puppy up, I would greatly appreciate it :D I know it appears to be a "Shelf Queen" but it's negative 35 celsius outside and probably won't be stinking until March.

Thanks!

Last edited:
That'd a purdy rig right there! I'm not a racer so I'm not even going to pretend to be. Just wanted to comment on that nice shelf queen *er* sweet looking racer!

I think the Big Joes are too big for racing and probably won't provide the traction you will need. I would add the 17mm hubs and use a truggy tire/wheel combo depending on the type of track you will be racing on.

Thanks, I do have a new set of Racing Tires already. Their a little smaller and much lighter.

Thanks again. Shelf queen, lol....... I'm not one of "them guys", I like breaking and fixing poop as much as anyone else.:whhooo:

Does anyone have a gearing recommendation with this engine combination?? I'm more of a racer than a basher but wouldn't mind picking up a set for each. Help? :)

If you’re racing you will want as many spur gear/clutch bell combinations as possible to experiment with. It’s hard to say without actually running on the track and you will probably want to change gearing for different track layouts.

A center differential/rear brake and a rear wing instead of a roll cage will help you on the track.

For clutches the Buku is really cool because it can be easily tuned w/o removing from the truck. You can tune the clutch "bite" depending on traction and/or gearing with a simple turn of the allen wrench. Get the 1/8 version w/ the power you will be spitting out.

If you take the reverse out, it removes a bunch of gears and rotating weight from the tranny (then you can lose the shifting servo/linkage and optidrive unit as well). If you really want to keep reverse when not racing get a second tranny from ebay. Takes about 5 minutes to swap.

On board temp gauge is great! Traxxas (MIP) unit is very small and light. Well worth it to keep the engine safe and make sure you are running where you should be. It has a maximum temp function that I have found very helpful when tuning.

Get some Proline VTR 1/2" offset wheels and then you can run any 4" VTR (or even 40 series) tire. Lots of options. Look really cool w/ 40 series badlands on them, but a bit much for racing.

-35C!!!! You poor Canadians, it is sunny and approaching +18C here today!

Yeah nice truck. I know it's been said, but the big joes gotta go if you're racing. I would buy all three gearsets (wide, standard, and close ratio) as well as all three spurs and a couple bells.
I've heard great things about the buku clutch, but it doesn't have the long standing rep like the m2c does.
+1 on the wing vs roll cage.

Thats a awesome looking rig! Good job on it.

So what would you try? 16/ 38 - 18/36 - 20/34 maybe? Then play with them from there? Also, would you go Robinson?

I wouldn't spend the money on robinson gears for an os 21tm.....I mean yeah, they're nice gears, but not needed. As for gearing it depends on which tire you're running. If your racing tires are 5.75 inches high then a 15/36 or 16/36 would probably be a nice ratio. There are too many variables.

Makes sense, I was thinking I might as well get a good gear because I am keeping that RB MT11 that arrived yesterday. She's a "spanky" looking motor, I'm going to install that in my other Revo just to try it. I bought a 2nd Revo off ebay that was in decent shape but missing an engine, has a ton of good spare parts, tires, etc... Got it for $100.00!

i was looking at that revo on ebay too. i ended up getting a complete roller to build up as a second truck. i already have alot of spare parts from my first ebay revo.

I'm not sure what that rb engine is, but I'll check it out. You could probably still use plastic gears and just replace the topshaft gears every couple gallons.

---------- Post added at 6:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 6:53 AM ----------

Looks like a beast LOL.

Yes, I seen that engine when I was travelling for business. I received it Thursday and want to install it this weekend. Just to cold out to break in!

Damn good looking Revo, gives me many ideas for when I get mine after XMAS. Great looking rig keep us posted brudda!

I've got 3 mounts, new era, Traxxas and another I bought from Amain. I haven't mounted it yet, but crossing my fingers.

Back